• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dual art dojang?

Hello,

I recently finished my trial period at a great Tang Soo Do dojang to find out that the way to continue there is to sign a contract I am unwilling to sign. He says he has short term contracts but those are a lot more expensive...so my quest for a good MA school continues.

I am currently looking into a kung fu place that some experienced kung fu stylists on the forum say sounds a bit fishy based on the website of the school.

I also found a dojang. They teach Tae Kwon Do, and Tang Soo Do with a little Hapkido joint locks thrown in for self defense. And no contracts, sounds great, at least worthy of a visit. The wierd thing that I want your opinion about is: When I asked what nights the Tang Soo Do classes are, he replied that they were on the same nights as the Tae Kwon Do, they are taught together in the same class. He teaches the forms for both arts and at belt testing time, you are tested on both arts, and when given the belt...it is in both arts. Sound wierd? I thought it sounded logical in some respects because there are similarities between TSD and TKD, but I also though it sounded strange enough to request your opinion. So lay it on me, please, whadaya think?

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My school mixes both arts. I don't think it's weird (I finally get to learn Bassai ...... wooohooooo!!!!). We do the WTF TKD forms, and sparring. Then we do TSD forms on top of the TKD ones later. My school is big on self defense, so we also do a lot of joint locks, ect.

I think the school you mentioned is like mine (we don't have contracts either). I am happy with it, so I think you should, at least, give them a try.

Laurie F

Hi Laurie,

I thought it was your school that it reminded me of...are you actually getting dual belts too. for example, when you reach green belt, are you a green belt in TKD or TSD or both. This guy is claiming to be able to give belts in both arts, is that unusual?

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

sounds good, i wouldnt get to wrapped up in the whole belt thing. after all it is just a way of seeing progress. go have a look and decide on the teaching not on things like the ranking system.

hope that made sence.

Hi GreenDragon! It's not uncommon to find a mixed martial arts school these days. It can actually be an advantage to you. It really depends on what your training goals are as well -- self-defense and fitness, competition, etc. I would watch a few classes to see how classes are run. A good teacher can make your learning experience fun and enjoyable. See if you can take a trial period. Be sure to ask questions too. Good Luck! :)

Greendragon,

No. We get graded on Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan. Which is almost the same as TSD (except for the beginner forms, which are Taegeuk forms). (I think. I could be wrong on that).

But if that instructor wants to grade that way, and he has the "proof" he studied both, than that's good. Like Chi said, it's not uncommon to find mixed MA.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

does the instructor require you to move up the ranks in both? does he make you do separate tests for ranks in both?

TKD and TSD are, IMHO, a weird match for mixed MA.

Laurie's case is different, and probably comes from the political factioning of TSD/TKD over the last 40 years.

A person who offers belts in both sounds a little shady to me on the surface.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Laurie's case is different, and probably comes from the political factioning of TSD/TKD over the last 40 years.

Yes, tommaker. GM Ahn was one of the ones who split or got split from TSD 40 years ago. But he still teaches the same stuff, except for the Taegeuk forms.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

Hello,

I did ask this man lots of questions and one of them was about the style of TKD. Since he is teaching the more traditional TKD (not sport) I do not find it to be an odd combination. In fact I find it to be very similar to Laurie’s situation in that his TKD and TSD will be a natural (almost redundant) pair for a mixed MA school.

To answer tommarker’s specific questions: Yes he does require students to move up the belt rankings of both systems, but he does not require two separate tests. He told me that it is one test where the student must show that they have learned the forms of both arts (among other requirements, I imagine).

So I’ve thought about it, and rather than asking him what his credentials in the two arts are, I will ask him about belt certification. If he can certify the TSD belt he gives through an official TSD organization that he is a member of AND certify the TKD belt through an official TKD organization that he is a member of, then this could be a very good thing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n