• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't talk, Act.

KaratekaAikidoist

usually 'why? do you wanna go outside and find out?' shuts people up and i'm only a green belt

Hey, whatever works, but some people like to "challenge" martial artists - I guess you haven't run into any? My Sensei's son was a brown belt at 13, and couldn't grade for black until he was 16 because of Butokukai rules. Anyway, LOTS of kids in the schoolyard wanted to challenge him, and he was forced to defend himself numerous times, just because his last name was the same as the name of the dojo in town; he wasn't a showoff, and was always successful, but STILL got challenged on a regular basis.

It is a bit of a prestige thing for some folks to try to beat up this "martial artist", so I'd be careful if I were you. Here's the thing...they've got nothing to lose....if they lose the fight they say, well, I got some good ones in and he's a brown belt! If they win, hey I kicked this brown belt's ass! Win - win for them.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I started training at 14, and followed a very simple rule. it was no one's business but mine that I was practicing Karate. Perhaps you might wish to try this philosophy?

If you were my student, I would have ejected you for fighting.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I didn't hide the fact I took karate, but I also downplayed it, and said I could get kicked out for fighting, so it wasn't worth it - which was true; our dojo had a similar rule to hobbitbob's.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

My dojo probably has simmilar rules.

My senior told me on saturday some drunk punk saw his dojo jacket, came up to him, and said "I bet I could knock you out in one hit"

..To which he simply stated "Ok, what is that going to prove? and what happens if you don't?"

The drunk left him alone.

===================

When cornered, kick 'em in the spetznats. If that doesn't work, run around acting like an epilept + flail your arms about while whizzin' in your pants, then fall down foaming at the mouth. They'll be so disgusted THEY will walk away from the fight....

I have a very large, very hot-tempered 18 year old son who received his Black Belt in TKD when he was 10. For many reasons (mostly football, wrestling, etc.) he did not continue to train, however recently he attended a new "dojo" in town that is training kids to full-contact fight (a questionable "new" style and situation I might add). He fought (and "beat"-mind you he is only a shodan and hasn't trained in years) nearly all the students and attended a few times before he figured out what the message they were teaching was and left . One of my proudest moments as a mom was when he came to me and told me that since he left, these same students (who all go to the same small HS with him) have been challenging him to fight their "instructor" to show the world who is best, etc. etc. etc. (Kinda reminds me of a certain Karate Kid movie)....and he politely declines daily because he knows that he would only be confirming what they have never been taught-respect. Finally. after all these years, the martial arts training that he had has paid off!!! :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/