• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't talk, Act.

KaratekaAikidoist

My neighbor and I train in japanese goju ryu. He got to green belt then quit and I continued to black. About a month ago, he expressed an interest in ninjutsu. A week later it was kendo and now its Kung Fu. He's starting to drive me nuts. My neighbor also tries to impress his friends by saying he can beat me up even though I'm in karate. He's 2 years younger and is a total weakling. I've beaten him many times before and he likes to continue to act like he's gonna take some form of martial arts and kick my @$$. I have nothing against ninjutsu, kendo or kung fu and I'd actually like to take them someday but I don't go around bragging about how I'm "going to" I'll say something when I take it. He has a slight learning problem so that may be why he didn't stick with karate. One of the students at my current dojo and his former dojo said that he wants to get a black belt but doesn't want to do the work. I tell him "the neighbor" that at least I didn't quit and that pretty much ends his martial arts talks but how can I make him shut up?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If a person is driver to act only because of words then Matrial Arts has taught you nothing.

Sticks and Stones I always say.

Don't worry about it. If he keeps it up stop hanging out with him. The key to staying out of trouble is to put yourself in situations that are less dangerous. If he continues to push the question then stop haning arround him so he won't have the chance to.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You posted a thread earlier about other friends knocking karate. It seems that you are fairly concerned about your friends' opinions of you and what you do. Don't be.

Friends, especially boys, tend to tease each other and attempt to 'get one up on each other'. Its best just to ignore them. If you don't react to their comments, the fun of teasing you will wear off for them and it'll stop.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Well, when people ask me if I can beat them up, I generally try to make a simple statement like "I have no idea, why are you going to attack me? We've alway been taught that we should never underestimate our opponents, so I never really thought about it". I realize your situation is the reverse, but a statement like that may still be work as it is non confrontational and gives the guy the benefit of the doubt (saving his ego).

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

What you should do; if he tells his mates he can beat you again just ask him if he wants a little fight then just show them that you can beat him and that should shut him up...

Everybodies Going Kung Fu Fighting! Yah Hoocha! LMAO

If a person is driver to act only because of words then Matrial Arts has taught you nothing.

was that directed toward me? I just try to get left alone. I only fight if I must and if people don't think I can do it, they should try and find out. I wish my friends could either shut up about karate or try it, no medium.

what id say is id go up to him and say so you think you can kick my @$$ huh well why dont we spar and find out (see if he will do full contact) and see what he says about that and if he trys to get out of it say i knew you just talk sh*t and cant back it up.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Well, when people ask me if I can beat them up, I generally try to make a simple statement like "I have no idea, why are you going to attack me? We've alway been taught that we should never underestimate our opponents, so I never really thought about it". I realize your situation is the reverse, but a statement like that may still be work as it is non confrontational and gives the guy the benefit of the doubt (saving his ego).

usually 'why? do you wanna go outside and find out?' shuts people up and i'm only a green belt