• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

home training

fireka

i just found a school for isshinryu and have attended once. love the school, love the teachers, everythings groovy. just wanted some tips on how i should go about practicing and training outside the dojo. both physically and also when it come to techniques so i dont develop bad habits.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't get ahead of your teaching. Meaning don't try and do certin things your teacher has not worked with you on because its hard to undo whats been done. Could be techinque, kata, SD move, etc.

However a punching bag is hard to go wrong with. If you do kata then you can do kata over and over. 10,000 reps to master one. So get started. LOL.

Reading this board and other MA web sites always helps. Train the brain as much as the body and always train the spirit.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

thanks! i like your style! thats the kind of thing i would have expected to hear more of from karatekas.

What I do at home:

After a warm-up and some stretching, I will do all of the kata I know, back to back, including weapons kata. I don't practice "new" kata, however. Sometimes I will also practice some basics (in combination). The reason I don't generally practice "new " kata at home is because I don't want to mess them up by practicing them incorrectly; only after I'm reasonably comfortable with the kata will I practice it at home.

I'm a shodan in Goju, so I have a fair number of kata to practice (though not as many as in some other styles). If I'm preparing for a competition or demonstration, of course I focus on the skills/kata I'm going to be using in that particular competition/demonstration.

Something I want to add to my home workout in the next few months is a heavy bag.

One thing you could do is ask your Sensei (before or after class) which skills you are ready to practice at home at this point.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

G95champ has some sound advice, do what your sifu (sensei?) has told you to do, and be wary of doing more (at least regarding forms/kata , techniques, etc).

i don't think you'll likely run into trouble if you are just working on generalized conditioning and improving your overall fitness, stretching, etc. but it is always a good idea to ask your instructor what they think about something. i ask my sifu about practically everything i do to improve myself in the gungfu world, because as G95champ said, it's a pain to "undo" things if you're in a bad habit already.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

im definitly getting a punching bag, and since i kinda would like to have martial arts as a carrear theres no problem setting aside time for lots of reps. practice makes perfect right? anyways about the bag. i think im gonna have to get a free standing one. see my room is upstairs and my dads a pain about my room and hanging stuff up. i got a mirrior to practice in front of and he is giving me trouple about putting that on the wall! so about the free standers, im not going to order one from century, the shipping would be ridiculous, and i dont know weather or not dicks sells the wave master. what do you guys think about those BOB bags? they look pretty good.

\definately dont train on something your not sure of. if you dont know something wait till the next class and if you dont go over it in the class ask the instructer after class.