• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the point now?

Kung Fu Hamster

When you know each kata are you going to carry on with karate?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. When you know each kata are you going to carry on with karate?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure yet

Ok. I am NOT quitting, just to make that clear and I ain't even thinking about quitting. But I've tried almost every single kata in the book. I haven't mastered them all yet but I roughly know everyone. So what I was thinking is, when someone's learnt every kata and everything else why do they carry on?

Everybodies Going Kung Fu Fighting! Yah Hoocha! LMAO

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes a lifetime to really master even a single kata. And over time new applications pop up. I see things in the first kata I learned now that I would not have been capable of understanding then.

I find that the katas peel apart in layers. Applications appear over time. Take a technique done in kosa dachi. It may seem odd to do someting with your feet all crossed up. But when you look at a military about face done on two counts you see kosa dachi as a possible turn and then all sorts of new things open up.

Gichin Funakoshi said it takes 10,000 reps to master a kata. Shotokan has 28 kata or so. Depending on the school and association. Each kata takes about 1-2 mins to do. Give you self a min or so for rest between each so lets say you can do one kata every 5 mins.

5x28,000 = 140,000 mins

140,000 / 60 = 2333.33 hours

2333.33 / 24 = 97.22 Days

Ok so in theroy you could learn karate kata in less than a year.

Lets say you train 3 nights a week in 2 hr classes. Lets say you do kata about 3 of those 9hrs.

3hrs x 52 weeks = 156class hrs a year you do kata.

Lets assume you misse 10 classes a year for vacation, sickness, work etc. so really only 126hrs of class kata a year.

126hrs a year goes into a total time needed of 2333.33 = 18.5 Years of class time to know the kata alone.

I really have no clue what Im getting at just showing that its going to take a long time to actually learn the kata to (master a style).

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Actually it is the basic techniques where the differences show up. Just the basic kicks and punches. How it can be so amazing how someone who has been training for years can throw a simple front kick that makes even a newer black belt wonder "whoa, where did that come from".