• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On your feet men (and er women too)!

Just to satisfy my curiousity, a question for all you BJJers out there. If in a fight you couldn't go to the ground (your on a dance floor strewn with broken glass say), what kind of techniques would you employ to come out alive. Would it be grappling or strikes or what?

Totally hypothetical of course. :)

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No one wants to talk to me. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :bawling:

Surely one of you BJJ practitioners have a reply, a self-denseice metghod that does not involve rolling about on the floor. Not that there is anything wrong with that (if you want to, have fun :) ). I'm just curious as to what BJJ teaches when going to the floor is not suitable. I'm not taking the p*ss I'm just interested.

Please someone reply.

I'm no BJJ'er, but I'm a grappler. That's right, we have no syllabus, we just learn techniques and grapple without grading ourselves. It's an addition to karate and/or jujitsu. However, I'd choose between: Callmyfriendso, Rundo and of course Begdo. If that didn't work, I'd try to imitate Vitor Belfort or Mas Oyama. As well as making sure of that he is not able of reproducing.

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

Hey, I do BJJ and to let you know, BJJ is not only about ground work. I know that is all most schools teach but BJJ also incorporates strikes. They also have some great and devastating stand up locks. If the ground was covered with glass, I, personally, would use throws and takedowns.

If you want some, Come Get Some. I wouldn't mind the practice.

if we couldnt go to the ground then id go for the throw leaving me on my feet and him on the floor in pain. (but thats only using my ju jitsu skill and not my striking)

Bozo. I'm not saying that BJJ is all about groundwork. But thats all I've seen and all anyone talks about. I just wanted to know what BJJ has when its unavailable as a matter curiousity. I know the stand up is there, just never seen it.

What kindo of stand up locks, do you use wrist locks like Kote gaeshi? What throws are taught that wouldn't end up on the ground, unless you did a makikomi.

Beer-monster you have a great name, wish I had thought of it. I like the question your proposing and it is valid. I study Budo Taijutsu and we always take into consideration the type terrain you may be fighting in. I wouldn't want to go to the ground if I'm near a cliff, or on a roof, or any high place I may roll off of. If your fighting in a rocky area, by a river and such it would really inhibit a ground figther. Ground fighting is smart in many ways, they take your weapons away and slowly constrict you. It works great in the ring and in many cases on a one on one type fight, but it is definitely limited.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I would use the following techniques in order:

1. The "negotiator". This one avoids fights at all cost,

2. The "sprint". This is when the track runner in me shines.

3. The "keep away!" Use long distance strikes such as push kicks and tae kwon do kicks to keep opponent away.

4. The "why won't you just give up and go away". Employ the muay thai strikes I know. Low roundhouses, knees, elbows. Close combat fighting.

5. The, "wow. this guy really is stronger". Use takedowns/judo throws in which I'm not the one who ends up on her butt.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!