• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you all know of a style called dragon (or wind fist) Kung Fu? Please give comparisons to hard styles like karate and comparisons to soft styles like Northern Mantis Kung Fu.

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

depends, there are different "dragon" gungfu systems, but the only one i am vaguely familiar with is the lung ying system...

here is a website on it http://www.lungyingjingjung.com/schoolinfo.html

it sounds to me like you may be referring to a different pai, however

also, i am curious, what about bei tong long makes you consider it a 'soft' system? not flaming, just curious :)

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

soft styles like Northern Mantis Kung Fu.

It's funny i can tell you've always been into karate. :lol:

I used to say the same thing when i was learning Niesi Goju Ryu Karate.You'll be surprised to know that certain styles of kung fu like Hung Gar and Black Tiger are harder than a lot of Karate styles.

And i do mean in contact and on the body.

jeff :)

The Basics Are The Hidden Secret To Kung Fu Master The Basics.

Hi, I was worried about that when I wrote it, hard, soft, hmm. I had heard that it uses more circular motions, whereas karate and chuan fa use more linear motions and had heard them referred to as hard & soft. How else have I heard it explained...hmmm...internal and external. karate and other "hard styles" generate all the power from the stylist throwing the punch using the hips, etc. Whereas "soft styles" use the oppponent's energy against them and add their own to it rather than trying to generate all the power themselves. A "hard style" would be trained to block with a stike to the incoming kick or punch, whereas a "soft style" would have been trained to move with the energy of the strike to reduce it's effectiveness or dodge it entirely rather than using a hard block.

I am admittedly coming off of a bad instruction experience in karate, and a great Tag Soo Do instructor who now wants me to sign a contract i am reluctant to. So I freely invite any enlightenment you can offer me regarding different styles of Kung Fu/Gung Fu as I continue my quest to find a good place to train. I recently found a place to train that seems good and teaches what the lead instructor calls Wind Fist Kung Fu or Dragon Kung Fu, but it seems that dragon is really just one of the animal styles that make up his art, but represents the culmination of the other animal styles. Perhaps it would just be easier if you gave me your thoughts on his school's website:

https://www.ravenhill.com

Thank you,

and btw, that was not even close to a respectable flame ;o)

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

Dragon is an animail style.

One of the two animal styles that does'nt come from a real animal.The other being Phoenix.

Dragon is a mixture of soft Internal style and Hard External style.

I can't really say to much because i'm not sure what Dragon style you speak of.In my style of Black Tiger (Hak Fu Muhn) we have Dragon Pek Kwar.

Here's a couple of Dragon Style websites.

http://www.shaolin.com/page.asp?content_id=997

http://www.dragonslist.com/links/go.php?id=847

http://grndragon.worldgate.ca/

Hi, I was worried about that when I wrote it, hard, soft, hmm.

So I freely invite any enlightenment you can offer me regarding different styles of Kung Fu/Gung Fu as I continue my quest to find a good place to train. I recently found a place to train that seems good and teaches what the lead instructor calls Wind Fist Kung Fu or Dragon Kung Fu, but it seems that dragon is really just one of the animal styles that make up his art, but represents the culmination of the other animal styles. Perhaps it would just be easier if you gave me your thoughts on his school's website:

https://www.ravenhill.com

Thank you,

and btw, that was not even close to a respectable flame ;o)

GreenDragon

First off if you're refering to me on the flame? I was'nt trying to flame you i don't get involved in flame wars.It's a waste of time ,and childish in my book.

You have to be carefull when looking into kung fu schools.There are soooo many phonies out there waiting for someone like you.

Not trying to be funny!

By saying someone like you i mean someone who does'nt know much about kung fu.Not all styles of kung fu use circular movements.Wing Chun is very straight and direct in it's blocks and strikes.Xing I is another straight forward style.Some styles are both such as Choy Lay Fut,Hung Gar ,and my style of Black Tiger.Some styles trap you like Eagle Claw and Praying Mantis.Some styles use trickery such as Tai Shing Pek Kwar ( Monkey Style) and Eight Drunken Immortals ( Drunkards Boxing).

There are so many different styles of kung fu that it is said that there are well over 1,000 different styles of kung fu.Most not known outside of China.Both of my main styles Hak Fu Muhn and Cheung Kune Pai are not that well known outside of China.My other style Bak Sil Lum ( Northern Shaolin Longfist ) is well known outside of China.

I see some things that bother me about that school.I've never heard of the style they teach ,but that does'nt mean they are not legit.I will ask around and see if i can find out any info on the school and style.

What city do you live in?

Maybe i can lead you to another school that might be better suited to you.

It really does'nt matter what i think about a style or school.What matters is what you think and feel about it.If it feels right then go for it.If you have doubts then there is a reason why you have doubts.If you wanna talk about different styles and Northern and Southern systems along with Internal and External styles.

Just E-mail me or Instant message me.I try to help ppl see real kung fu.Not that crap being called kung fu.

Thanks Jeff,

No, Paulung posted right before you asking why I thought mantis was soft and said he wasn't trying to flame, so I was jokingly referring to that in a manner that was meant to express that I was in no way offended by his question.

I live in Tucson AZ. There are a couple different Kung Fu schools in my area:

There is a place near me called Kodenkan, they teach the Mantis style, but in observing the class I decided that I did not like the extreme flourishes that were readily appartent in their forms, very showy. Not interested in pure mantis. There is another place close to me that teaches Wing Chun, tell me what you know about it, compared to others. Those and this Wind Fist are the only two I know of close enough to me to make them a practical option.

Thanks again for your feedback.

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

Well,

Wing Chun - is very effective ,and would make you an effective fighter alot quicker than most kung fu styles.Like within 1 yr you could be a very good fighter with Wing Chun.It's like karate in the way it's straight forward attacks and blocks.Wing Chun is more defensive most attacks don't take place unless someone attacks you.

Northern Praying Mantis - Although very showy looking is very effective and one of the highest level styles taught at the Shaolin Temple.Northern Praying Mantis has alot of kicks and trapping techniques.Northern Praying Mantis styles (Most but not all) use the mantis for their hand and fists techniques,and Monkey style for their legs and kicks.

Southern Praying Mantis - In reality does'nt resemble it's northern brother at all.It's an inclose fighting style with very little kicks.The kicks that it has are just about always below the waist.

GreenDragon,

Another thing you have to understand about kung fu is.That just because they say it's kung fu does'nt mean that it's kung fu.I've seen ppl mix TKD with some karate and call it kung fu.People call kenpo kung fu it's not.kenpo has kung fu flavor in some of it's forms/katas but it's still karate.Also there are alot of phoney made up styles and forms.

You have to be careful in your search.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Alot of questions if someone gets mad at your questions or can't answer them then they're not the teacher for you.

Also don't think that the teacher has to be Chinese to teach kung fu.There are many non chinese masters around that are very good.You have to see that money is money and even some chinese teachers can be fake.Also you have some ppl who learn a little of a style and then go open a school saying they know the whole style when they don't.

Also when you visit a school find out what class you're watching.Because you could be watching newbies thinking that they are an advance class or vise versa.

Hope that helps a little?

i'm gonna have to agree with jmd161 regarding the school link you posted, GreenDragon... i see some pretty big "red flags" on that website. personally i would avoid it if you are looking for legit authentic gungfu. that's not to say it is not an effective system, because it very well may be... but it's nothing i've ever heard of, and no one i know has ever heard of it, and ...well let's just say some things on the website don't lend alot of legitimacy to it. i'll leave it at that.

regarding wing chun, as jmd161 mentioned, it is a highly practical southern system that focuses on a few main points; those being centerline theory (control your opponent's center and protect yours), efficiency (the shortest distance between two points is a line), economy of motion and power, and sensitivity ("feeling out" your opponent). it is said to be developed by a woman originally, and is hence often promoted as a style that allows smaller and weaker folk to effectively fight bigger/stronger ones. being practical and relatively simple (note: simple doesn't mean "easy" or "ineffective"), it is said to have a relatively short learning curve, i.e. you can learn most of the basics in a short amount of time compared to other systems. how good of a fighter you are with it depends on several factors, as with any system, but traditionally a wing chun fighter can claim proficiency relatively quickly compared to many other systems.

i poked around tucson.citysearch.com and there are many schools in tucson area, several of which teach (or claim) gungfu... perhaps you should look around and see what they have to offer? find one that is comfortable... ask questions... don't be scared to see what they are about. some may offer a trial period, maybe a free class or two, if you are interested, take them up on it. shop around until you find what you want... trust me it is worth it. you will know when you find it. beware of schools that claim "super secret" styles or "ultimate" styles or put down other schools and styles, this is usually a sign of trouble. as i said, you will know when you "click" with something. even if you "click" with a style, in my opinion, a good sifu is most important. there are many valid systems and styles, but a good sifu is very difficult to find (and it is said that a good student is possibly even harder). good luck in your search!

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey