• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shootfighting vs other arts

(Here I go again with yet another post :roll: )

Some people claim Shootfighting to be the "ultimate" art.

What do you mean? What's its weakness/strength?

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've never heard anyone call it the "ultimate" art.

Shootfighting is intended for fighting. It's mainly a mix of Muay Thai and Brazilian JuJitsu depending on the gym.

Strengths and weaknesses depend on the gym. Some gyms only allow open handed body shots while others fight full contact.

I'd say that its strength is also its weakness. Being well rounded. Instead of spending all your time striking or spending all your time grappling, your spending your time doing both. That makes it hard for beginners but the longer you train, the more you'll blend them together.

You said it yourself, shootfighting IS an mix of other arts, or a mix of a lot of styles if you like!. I think it is stupid when they say; “He is a karate fighter” or “He’s style is kung fu” before the shootfight starts, because he ain’t gonna use only one style in the ring, he have to use a mix. I personally look at shootfighting and the rest of the “new breed”, like UFT (Or something), K1 and so on as a show. Sort of like American wrestling or maybe boxing, there they have prearranged fights and the person who wins made the best deal. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I think of it. It’s a lot of money involved here and hey, nothing wrong with making money of something you are good at, i’m not saying that, but “the ultimate……” in front of shootfighting, K1 and so on is just a sales tricks, nothing else. You wanna compete and show off this is OK, be a shootfighting Hulk Hogan, but you wanna defend yourself try something else, maybe some “ultimate” defence of body or something.

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!

Bart Vale is a great MAist, from what little I know about him. Shootfighting is a mix of BJJ and MT, which has indeed proven to be very effective.

As for the "Ulimate Martial Art" comment, who knows.......................?

Strayder, I think you have the wrong idea. I can't comment on fights being fixed because some probably are.

Like I already said, shootfighting was made for fighting. So why don't you think it would be good for self-defense?

And Hulk Hogan has nothing to do with shootfighting :P

Why I don’t think shootfighting is any good as self-defense?. It’s a sport, not self defence!. Sport have rules, self-defence has not. And to those of you who say 90% of fights go to the ground and holds that as a good reason to learn shoot fighting, you don’t know what you talking about!. Do you actually think you gonna meet a really good grappler in a street fight?. Do you?. Can you se yourself rolling around in a dark alley, having fun with your attacker while his pals have a good time with you?. Yeay, yeah, bad excuse, you probably had heard that before haven’t you, but I mean it!. I have been in a lot of street fights in my early days, before I did any boxing and MA, and I have NEVER seen a fight going on the ground. This is just bull made up by the promoters of MMA, shootfigthting and it’s like, I think, just to draw people to them from any other style. I think it’s about time to wake up and draw a line between sport and self defence. I do MA for the ability to defend myself, not for sport!. I did sport boxing in my younger days, so I know for a fact that my style is more than good enough for self defence!. If I had meet myself then and know and put up a fight I would probably ripped the head of the younger boxing me with what I know to day, so don’t come and tell me that my style isn’t complete. A style can only be as complete as the user makes it, that’s it!.

So basically you can say that the sport aspect doesn’t offend me very mush. Sport is sport and defence is defence for me. Arrest me if I’m wrong!!

(I know that Hulk Hogan had nothing to do with shootfighting, he did am. wrestling, right?) ;-)

OK. If saying that shootfighting is self-defence are the same as open minded, your right!. What so good about it, then??. Please educate me!.

Hey Strayder why dont you get yourself down to a shootfighting club and joinin and then maybe you change your mind. thats the best way ican prove my point that shootfighting does work. Th best preparation you can have for a fight is full contact sparring with as few rules as possible.

Now let me see.......which systems so that...........ummmmmmmmm.....oh yes i think i know!

Strayder, it is not the MMA-promoters that say most streetfights end up on the ground. Besides, if you're in a fight with one other man, and you're sure he won't get help for the first few minutes, there is not very hard to take him down.

Besides, you talk like Shootfighting is grappling only. It's also a mix of Muay Thai and Boxing. :)

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.