• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Royce Gracie at the street?

This is just something that has been in my mind for a bit... Sorry to you who do not like Royce Gracie, because this post concerns him and him only. I was just wondering if anyone know if he is capable of defending himself in a street-assault?

Now don't get me wrong, I know he is great in one versus one combat, and he is great at escaping locks and such (I have his and Charles' book).

But I doubt Royce is so stupid that he'd take a streetfight to the ground unless he would break the arm of the opponent in a matter of seconds. Especially if he was surrounded by two people. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Grappling enthusiast!

Shootfighting as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royce Gracie would beat 99.9% of the people out there that are not trained fighters regardless of where the fight took place..

Against an untrained fighter he could proabably secure a break or choke in a matter of seconds...

Even if he did not want to take it to the ground Royce has trained in striking for 7 years now so he would not be a fish out of water by any means.

besides...everyone knows who Royce Gracie is.no one would ever attack him :lol:

I'd have to agree that assualting Royce Gracie is one of the stupidest things possible, he knows well enough how not to be caught by multiple opponents in a fight and has picked up some striking over the years.

After the fight with Mike Tyson biting his opponants ear off Royce Gracie challenged Mike to a fight since his art includes lots of biting and pinching. Mike Tyson and thw whole company didn't even give him a reply. Not even a no. They s*** them selves. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of meeting Royce while attending one of his seminars. Very nice man. Funny too.

During the seminar, he showed that he definitely has stand up jujitsu skills as well as obvious ground dominance. My guess is that Mr. Gracie would make a very formidable opponent to anyone attempting to attack him in the street.

Concerning multiple attackers, his odds would be just as good as anybody else's given he uses his stand up skills.

*heehehe* It seems odd to me to mention the words "striking" and "Gracie" in the same sentence, but, rest assured, they do have striking ability.

yeah, he's definitely got standup grappling skills. I've met him also - matter factly he's at my school right now and was also there yesterday, but I'm unable to make this seminar. He has a self defense book out that has some pretty good stuff in it.

Excerpt from an interview with Royce Gracie. Apparently people ARE crazy enough to challenge him :) In the dojo, anyway. http://www.sherdog.com/interviews/roycegracie/gracieinterview_04.shtm

Brett Herman: Do a lot of fighters and wrestlers come to the Academy in Torrance and make challenge matches?

Royce Gracie: That comes in waves. Sometimes, they come in and show up, maybe 3 or 4 in a month but then they disappear for 8 months until somebody wants to come in and try out whether it's one way or the other, I haven't had any for the last 6 months or so.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

No doubt Gracie is a great fighter, he's an incredible BJJ fighter. The fact of the matter is that no one is invincible, and he has lost in the ring just like many other great fighters. Logic will tell you if he lost in the ring, what makes people think he might not lose on the street as well. The difference being you can't tap out on the street, if the guy is a killer. There are guys out there that are so tough and mental messed up that there is no predicting the outcome. People on the streets have weapons, let's take guns out this equation. Some guy I knew in college told me a story about the indians in El Salvador that had to resort to a life of crime to survive. They pick pocket and mug people, they work in teams. They also carry a razor blade in their mouth to cut you with if you resist them, if you chase them they chew it and spit it at your face. My point is no one can make that claim, I especially don't think Gracie would make the claim that he could beat anyone on the street in the street.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"