• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anti Karateka*interesting*

KaratekaAikidoist

I don't try to convince most people of anything. It is an unfortunate human trait to denigrate what we don't understand, and opening closed minds is not my mission in life. My advice is to let them wonder. Eventually, anyone really interested will seek you out in a more hospitable atmosphere and you can then enlighten him without all the negative peer pressure.

Chi- most people are completely ignorant of it, and I'm no expert myself. But I have experienced it both in stillness and in action. Sounds like you have too. So don't let the nay-sayers get to you. You know what you know, and for those who are happily ignorant, why spoil their fun?

As for the effectiveness of martial arts, most were forged and tested in battle. Even the more modern styles are based on the moves and principles of the old, reliable arts. I've used my art effectively, though not in a life threatening situation. But I personally know others who have used the same art against weapons and multiple attackers and who've come out on top. I'd say that whether or not an individual can use martial arts effectively depends more on how he trains and is trained, and on his overall abilities and level of confidence, than on his art (with a few exceptions).

Bottom line, you know what you do and you enjoy what you do. Their opinions don't matter in the long run. If they can't accept that, maybe you should reevaluate their friendship.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say they're idiots, just ignorant. That condition can only be corrected if they are willing. That's why I recomend just letting it go. If they really want to know, they'll aproach you when they can learn without the intereference of other friends. Otherwise, it's a waste of breath talking about it.

As for their being jerks, I don't know. You'll have to judge that based on all your personal knowlege of them. Their behavior as you describe it sounds like jerks, but then we've all done similar things. I just advised you to re-evaluate. You are on your own for the conclusions. Whatever you decide, don't let them dictate your interests or cause you to give up something that bennifits you and that you enjoy. Good luck.

Freedom isn't free!