• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How did you first train?

GojuMaster

I was just wondering how your dojo trained you and how you trained when you first strted going. My dojo made sure all the white belts were well contioned so for most of my first year we spent time conditioning our bodies :bawling: i still remember the pain i was only 9 but i think it was worth it :D

If you cannot be made you cannot be broken

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In shotokan we did a lot of conditioning.

In Judo the training itself was enought to get you in shape.

My Ninjitsu school focused on training and the instructor made it clear that we were to get in shape on our own time.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Ah, it was awesome when I was a white belt!

I got away with murder (I guess I still do...we all do, I suppose). Since you were new you were told to take it completely at your own pace. If they said do 50 sit-ups and you could only manage 2, fine. If you were told to try and keep up with the kata and you were tripping up over your own feet by Heian Nidan, fine. You could sit out when you got tired or confused. Sometimes you wouldn't even have to do something if you didn't want to eg. at first I was terrified of free sparring and sometimes I'd get to do focus pad work instead.

You constantly had someone beside you talking you through things (especially when doing kata or basics) and you were constantly being encouraged for the slightest success. You managed to tie your own belt and it was like "woohoo! Happy day, let's have a party!" Ok, slight exaggeration, but you know.

Man, I loved being a white belt *sniff, sniff*

I think I must be the only karate student in the world that was actually depressed when I got my first kyu grade. I was relieved and happy that the test was over, but miserable when I had to take my white belt off for the last time. :(

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

When I first started I went into a Shorin ryu class that had just a few students. Our instructor taught just our class to keep his hand in at teaching. He did it basically just to teach. It was a very small group. And he was a very encouraging teacher.

We were always told to "work with what you have". Meaning that each person worked to the best of their abilities. No one ever really slacked off. It was such an atmosphere that everyone wanted to do their best.

I can remember having to crawl off into the corner more than once when I hit my absolute limit and collapsed. We were not pushed just encouraged in a very positive manner. It was a really terrific experience.

When I first started at 14, we did the normal warm-ups and stretches. But when I started my Kenpo training at 18, maybe 19, my instructor was an OCS candidate for the Marine Corp, so needless to say, our warm-ups were militaristic in nature. Lots of sweating, many nights of sheer exhaustion from plain 'ol excercising. Our motto..."Pain is Joy" :o . In the end it was all good. Unfortunately, the 'ol body feels some of that "pain" as I've aged :( , but not to worry.....I can still kick above the waist :D .

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia