• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need advice ... Please...

Ok, here's my situation. I just switched dojangs/dojo's a month ago. I love this place. BUT there is so much to learn here. They teach a lot more than the old dojang (which was sport). I went from 6th gup/kyu to 4th gup/kyu (in TKD) just because of the color of my belt. I wanted to drop myself a rank because of all the stuff I have to learn, but everyone (instructors and boyfriend) tells me not to. But I feel I should. I was a 5th gup in TSD, but even TSD didn't teach what this school does. My instructor says there is no rush, but yet I know nothing better than a 6th gup/kyu. What do you guys/gals think I should do????

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should drop the rank. You'll feel under less pressure then, and it'll mean that other people wont feel it is unfair that they're lower ranked than you when they know more.

Its only one rank after all, but if you feel that you don't know the stuff for the rank you're on then you'd probably be best just to drop the rank.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Have you tried dropping back to the beginner's classes (if they have them)?

That way you could work your way through the gup ranks one-by-one instead of trying to take them all on at once.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

KK75 you change schools more than I change my socks. LOL...

Not to pick on you but your in what I call limbo. When people start with me that have rank in other styles I start them at white belt. (9th Kuy for us) However because they should have a good foundation I will test them a bit sooner than normal. Just give them the time to catch up with the way we do things. Not that our way is right its just our way. LOL. So in our class they may wear a lower rank than what they hold but I make the point to always reconize their other rank. By giving them some authority over other people etc...

But a brown belt in TKD will never come to me and get tested for a Black Belt in Shotokan without going throgh the requriments needed.

This is why I don't think one should ever change styles until they got a black blet. It just makes things so much simpler. Black belts are universal. Meaning if you a black belt you know something about everything even i fyou don't know a lot about it.

Color belts are always in flux. Mean a Blue Belt may be early in one style an high in another. Some styles use dozens of strips and stuff and only one or 2 color belts. Then a certin rank in a style like BJJ is not going to do too well in a style like TKD just because of the nature of the art. However some do work well together like differant styles of Karate.

When I went to college and trained in ATK. I always wore my black belt but I did the lower rank requirments with the lower ranking kids in class. My Sensei did not think it was right to make me wear a color belt but we both agreed I did not understand his style as his upper students did when I joined.

If your a black belt I say wear your rank but train as a new student. If you a color belt I say put the white belt back on and work with your Sensei to get caught up.

Don't doubt your techinqes o. Although we have never met I have faith your a good Martial Artist. Don't get caught up in rank. Its better to be a great low rank than an ok high rank. You will do fine.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I'm Agree that maybe its better if you start as a white belt. Then after you catch up, you can wear again your Blue Belt.

BUT, if your Instructor says NO problem you wear you Blue Belt while you catch up. Then there's No problem. He's the Instructor and if he feels there's no problem you wear you Blue Belt, then maybe is because he trust you'll learn all you need to learn soon.

Maybe you'll spend a little more time as a Blue Belt before moving to the next rank. That's all.

Hey! G95 :P No seriously. This is only my third school in three years (I didn't want to quit the first one, but had to). I dabbled or tried others, but didn't stay with it.

Sub, that's what my instructor said. He said it was ok, and HE WANTS me to wear my blue just because of my experience. I even asked to start over, but he said no. He said I definitely know enough and have good technique, and I will catch up quick. I just left it at that.

Laurie F

Personally, I'd keep the rank and not worry if I'm up to speed with everyone else at my level. I'd just work as hard as I could to get to where I think I should be and trust that my instructor has made the right judgement.

With that said, everytime I've looked into a new martial art I've always started as a white belt.

i'll say it as nice as i can:

it's just a gup rank, and in a few months, it will be sorted out. :) You sound very humble about your abilities, but at your level (no offense) your instructor can give you a better sense of your ability than you can.

It almost seems that worrying about not being worthy of your rank is affecting your performance. Make it work for you instead. Let that belt challenge you until you test out of it.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.