• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hello everyone,

i currently do wing chun and i enjoy it, however inw ing chun we cant spar and ive always thought cross training was good and simply coz muay thai has sparring i think just sparring every week is very good.

i just wanted to ask you lot if you reckon it would be good for me the things in muay thai and would they fit in with my wing chun stuff to you know improve me overall?

also would you say its better for me to go kickboxing or muay thai?

and also how much is single work apart from sparring ,meaning bag work etc. so i can asses how much i could really do at home. im think of starting with my mate whose been on muay thai for while and joining in a week or so.

also any other useful information would be appreciated.

thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it would definetly beneficial to you.

would you say its better for me to go kickboxing or muay thai?

Muay thai..but kickboxing is a big word than can mean alot of things ...MT/kickboxing can be very similar.

• 1 month later...
In terms of the sports, I don't think you're allowed to kick to the legs in kickboxing. Moreover, in full Muay Thai, elbows and knees are permitted (including strikes to the head).

depends on the rules..American Kickboxing is boxing with kicks above waist..then there in K-1 rules whitch allows leg kicks and kness..there there is Full Muay Thai rules..

It would definately be very beneficial for you to start training in Muay Thai. It is such a powerful style, you'll be well equiped. Specially if you don't spar in Wing Chun, then Muay Thai will get you used to taking punishment, which will benefit you greatly.

I just wish I had the opportunity to train in Muay Thai, I'm an ok striker right now but with my lack of full-contact training/sparring in that sense, I don't think I could stand and trade with a Thai Boxer. Thankfully I have my grappling that I feel confident would pull be through.

"razor elbows, killer knees, iron fists and monster kicks"

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

Go for it- from what i understand wing chung is mostly hands anyway, and quite the approach from muay thai hands. worse comes to worse you dont like it and dont continue with it. hehe, if you wanna have some fun, get good at wing chung deflect-and-hit moves and see if they ever work in the ring at all, your opponent may be surprised....

a broken arm throws no punches