• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido or Judo? Input NEEDED QUICK :)

Okay guys and gals. As you may recall I was thinking of going to the traditional Jui Jitsu but in the new town I moved to the aprtment I ended up getting is WAY on the other side of town. A block from my place I have a martial arts center that teaches Aikido, Judo, and some form of karate.

Anyway I do want to get into a grappling art so I am now leaning toward Judo BUT I am hoping it isnt more towards the sport aspect where ass they train ways to get points and not actualy joint breaking dislocating Street moves like the Juijitsu may have. Also I was told here that Aikido would most likely take at elast a year before it would be of any benfit in a "real" situation. Also The aikido From what I understand you kind of have to wait for someone to grab or strike at you to do much. But man the throws and joint locks look TIGHT in aikido. The Judo I am thinking would be better as it has offence and good defense. Does Judo have strikes like TJJ? Thanks all for advice! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey, listen, if the martial arts school next to your house is "Tiger Schulmann's Karate", then by all means, GO THERE, YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED! :)

About Aikido or Judo, do whichever you want. They are both great fighting styles. Check them both out, see the classes, and decide which style is more useful to you. :karate:

"Osu!"

Check them both out, see the classes, and decide which style is more useful to you. :karate:

That about says it all. Some Aikidos differ, so make sure to talk to students. It could have more offense or more spirituality depending on its origins.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

If your planning on spending more than for years in whichever you choose, go with aikido, anything less than that, go with Judo.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I recently started taking Aikido and I'm loving it.

I suggest you try both classes and choose the one that appeals more to you.

Most martial arts take awhile to truely learn (however, Aikido takes a little longer), but by truely I mean getting to a point where your continually "in the zone" (or connected with your "Ki") and you can react in dangerous situtations on instinct rather then thought.

What I am trying to say is that you can use Aikido after you start taking the classes, you don't have to wait years before it "all of a sudden comes" to you. Heck, I have already taken a few classes and feel comfortable with one or two techniques (but I have to think about them before I use them as opposed to instinct).

There is also the spiritual aspect of Aikido, but thats another story.

You are right, in Aikido you mainly wait to be attacked, but then again, thats why Aikido is devastating for self-defense.

Let me add, Judo is not bad either. I might be taking a Yudo (Korean Judo) classes in the near future (to cross-train).

Do which one you like the most!

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

Now what the heck was that for? Aikido is a wonderfully effective martial art; just takes a while to learn. Judo is fabulous too...I'm acutally considering taking Judo to improve my stand up grappling game.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Ko man, we have rules about style bashing.

Care to back up your statement that Aikido is "utter rubbish" with some reasons why you feel this way?

Dustin, The only way to figure what you like and are more comfortable with is to go to a few classes like most have said. It may turn out to be worth it for you to just remain with TJJ and suck up the commute.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

I've taken aikido for four years but just recently was allowed to start testing. A lot of the techniques are based on the scenario where someone grabs you etc. but you could incorporate it into another MA. Say you got someone off balance by pulling their hand. If you wanted to end the fight nicely, just apply a wrist lock. If you're into grappling, try judo