• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boxing Gloves - How much do they change fights?

Having recently aquired a pair of boxing gloves, and being without any sort of ring or combat experience, I am curious to learn about the various ways in which a boxing glove affects styles of fighting.

On the face of it, they would lead to a greater emphasis on power and less attacking pressure points. How this could actually bear on a fight is quite beyond me. I was wondering if anyone has any commentary on how much (and what sort) of difference a 16 oz boxing glove makes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
they protect your opponent somewhat, but they mainly protect your fists. its harder to get the sort of "sting" with boxing gloves which you could with two knuckles.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

-Albert Einstien

In actual competition, I have never seen nor heard of a 16 oz glove being used. Training with gloves of that weight is pretty much universal. Hurly bird is correct in that gloves are there to protect your hands, not your opponents face. Most styles of martial arts would suffer from the use of boxing gloves, but with boxing and most kickboxing organizations, there is no holding or pressure point manipulation.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

16 oz gloves can create bad habits..

you can kind of use them a shield when you block..covering you head/face since they are much larger than your hands

redirecting punches is also a bit more difficult..along with other small habits you pick up...sometimes you throw punches you normally wouldent because your hands are protected.

But generally i think the benefits far outweight the losses.

I practiced with them for the first time last summer, and found that they changed the fighting quite a bit, but not so much that all of my skills were void. TJS covered a lot of what I learned about them. You can't slip your first through your opponents guard very easily when each of your firsts are massive bulges. So you have to use some different strategies to get the punch in.

I think that a good ballance of training with them (for full contact) and without (for precision) is good. I'm thinking of getting a pair myself because I'd like to do more training with them.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

When training for offensive purposes, gloves are going to create a sense of security in that you're not going to break your hands. there are a number of benefits such as training heavier to increase hand speed and what not. In all honesty though, for defensive puposes, as well as throwing in holds, manipulations etc, either train without or invest in a set of JKD gloves.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

• 2 weeks later...

Boxing gloves are there to protect the fighters nearly as much as your hands.

I haven't boxed in a while, but if I recalll correctly 16 oz gloves are only used in amateur fights.

How much do they change the fight? Very very much. Grabbing and open handed techniques are pretty much out of the question. As you stated, lots more emphasis on hard rather than smart hitting. Some fighters tend to hold their hands closer to their face to pillow/block the shots. Early 1900's boxing looked quite a bit different.

I read ages ago that the martial artists who fight with boxing gloves that no matter how hard they punch it will never be there hardest punches, even though they try and think they are throwing there hardest punches, the punches will never be there hardest, but if they take the gloves off then the hardest punches that is able to be executed by the human body is then realistic. its like trying to brake a piece of wood like in karate with a boxing glove, then it wont work as well, but without boxing glove then you get the realistic and true potential results. boxing gloves were invented for the purpose of self protection on the hands and knuckles when fighting/sparring. basically boxing gloves and safety equipment when worn by martial artists simply limit properly executed techniques, but the great invention, introduction and development of safety equipment benefits greatly and attracts more people to learn sport martial arts.