golden tiger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic... Well this is a tough question due to the fact it gets very blurred by personal preference, but I had the pleasure of studying breifly under Sensei Okazaki and Sensei John McCleary who were both brilliant instructors in Shotokan. I have seen Sensei Obata from Aikido brilliantly teach unfortunately never had the opportunity to study under him but was able to sit in a couple of classes. In Tang Soo Do Master Fred Scott or Master Hwang Kee. Hmm I think I could probably name more but those are the ones that come to mind in traditional styles. Oh one more I forgot about SL Martin :grin:

• 3 months later...
I can"t understand Funikoshi being a fav sensie unless you actually trained under him. He blessed us with Shotokan karate but you need to train with someone to really apreciate them. Bruce Lee is my hero, but the most inspirational person I have trained with is Dan Innosanto .To be in the company of the man was just awesome , he has real humility and generosity, something found only in truly genuine martial artists.

2nd Dan Black Belt Karate 1st Dan Brithai

Cardio Kickboxing Coach and Professional fitness trainer based in Cambridgeshire England

Well besides my Sensei Shihan Williams Gene it would have to be Hanshi Higiaonna Morio from the goju ryu style he is jsut the most knowledge and humble man i have meet besides the imediate Sensei that i train under .

I have been blessed with finding the most sell trained and knowledgeable people on kata and bunkai and general history of the style .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Shodan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

[ This Message was edited by: ronryu on 2002-03-12 16:54 ]

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

The point has already been made that being a competent practitioner and being a competent teacher are two different things.

But is this really true? Do you feel that somebody really is (or deserves the title of) a master or really knows his/her stuff if they are unable to relate or pass on his knowledge from a variety of different angles? It would seem to me that a true master or competent practitioner who truly understands his/her art would have no trouble teaching or providing effective guidance to his/her students. IMHO there is more to being a master in karate, kung fu, tkd, whatever art, besides engraining all the techniques into muscle memory and turning them into natural reaction or movement.

What do u guys think?

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-03-12 19:21 ]

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Yahara, not too sure. Im only in Black belt. I haven't passed Sensei. but i agree with Yahara!

Kempo dude says: Stand up show me what you got, im black belter in kempo, im a Kempo champ. lets see who will win!

• 1 year later...
SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM.WELL FROM WHO I TRAINED WITH YAHARA,ENOEDA,OSAKA AND TANAKA ARE MY LEGENDS. OF COURSE MY OWN SENSEI "SENSEI KEOHANE"

Impossible is not a fact, It's an opinion!

Shotokan-Nidan