• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lack of protective equipment in BJJ, JJ, Judo, Sambo, etc.

Why is it that these arts, which do a great deal of ground fighting, not use ear protection? You see many of the fighters who compete in these arts (especially BJJ) with cauliflower ear. I find that it's completely and easily avoidable if the proper equipment is worn when ground fighting. If amateur colegiate and high school wrestlers wear them, I think that BJJ and other similar styles should too.

Comments...Opinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

they're not prohibited in practice - the choice is yours to make. There is a guy at my school who wears an ear guard - it's just a nuisance though - it will not stay in place. eventually, he just takes it off. There are guys in class who just get their ear drained whenever it develops. I have been fortunate enough not to get it, so I can't speak from experience.

I've heard rumours that wallid ismael won't promote anyone above blue belt rank if they don't have cauliflower ear.

You see that's the very thing I am referring to. This attitude of "if you don't have an outward deformity as a result of BJJ, you're not trying hard enough!" This is not the same as let's say hardened knuckles from punching the makiwara board. This is a permanent injury which requires corrective, and not always completely treatable, surgery.

If BJJ wants to become more modern, the thought if their philosophy in what is hardcore needs to change. I don't need to get shot to be a good shooter, therefore, I don't need to get cauliflower ear to prove I am good at BJJ, Judo, Sambo, etc.

Edited by Golden Panther

Doesn't cauliflower ear develop under ear protection too? There are alot of colligate westlers here at the Uof M that have it despite the ear protection. Just a question.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

you can completely prevent cauliflower ear by wearing cauliflower ear and i have gotten it before, very ugly. but for some people its uncomfortable to wear and in some places (brazil) it shows than your tough, if you have cauliflower ear. noone is stopping you from wearing ear protection, but most people just don't until they get their ears drained( of blood cause by broken vessels) and they learn their lesson.

jiu-jitsu is invicinble

• 2 months later...
In a judo comp a couple of years a go a guy was thrown with uchi mata and his nut was clipped off inside it's sack from his cup. :o No one wanted to compete after that. :P I can still here the screams when I lay awake at night. :cry: