• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When should a student study Aikido?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. When should a student study Aikido?

• It's okay to take as your first/only style
    • Only after at least a brown belt in another system
    • Never, it's not a practical self-defense system

IMHO, the art of Aikido is system best taken after a student has already attained some level of proficiency in karate/tkd/kung fu/grappling et al.

In my experience, when I got to the extent to where I could "see / sense / feel" attacks coming (i.e., I got my noggin popped enough times)... it was then I thought I was ready to take on the challenge of trying to actually control the attacker.

When I studied aikido, I was put off by the many "advanced" aikido students -- especially some shodans -- who thought they knew it all. When we actually sparred, they realized the couldn't control attacks thrown in real-time. (Kenpo rocks... it's like a whirlwind coming that you don't expect).

Anyway, that's my two cents worth...

Ronpo

"Aikido to admonish... Kenpo to punish..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think Aikido is OK as a primary martial art, though I must advise I have not taken Aikido except in a seminar (me and my seminars :D).

The fact that you practiced at all in "real time" shows me that your dojo was at least attempting to address a spontaneous - as opposed to a rehearsed - attack, though. Defending against the unknown is important in self defense, in my opinion

I'll let the Aikido experts defend their style's effectiveness, which is kind of a subjective term anyway; I suspect it has lots of good information for the right teacher/student to bring out.

I think people should be able to take whatever martial art they want, even if they don't want to learn to defend themselves :o. The Aikido practitioners I've met weren't concerned about "fighting" per se, though, and that's fine too.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I think its possible that it can be used in a self defense situation but For the most part if someone is looking to learn how to defend themselves I think there are more efficent ways.

I wouldn't advise a 60 year old woman to learn Muy Thai, or any of the full contact sports would you?

Aikido is not an easy art to learn, and I have a friend who is 4th Dan and he is a very effective fighter.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Hmm, I would advise the practitioner to train in something practical and easy to learn/use first, so that while learning Aikido, they can defend themselves. Of course, if they're not worried about getting into fights for the time being, they need not waste precious training time on something they are't going to be using.

I wouldn't advise a 60 year old woman to learn Muy Thai, or any of the full contact sports would you?

No, I would advise them to learn Krav Maga.

Well.....

I take Aikido as my primary system. Like all styles it has gaps. But that is for the student to address. A style can NEVER be EVERYTHING to EVERYBODY.

As for effectiveness, I cant say, having never used what little I know in "real life" I would be lieing if I said it was amazing. I can only go on what I have read from people I hold with respect.

ronpo, shodan's dont know it all and those that do are liars. shodan in Aikido like in most MA's is the first rung of the ladder. I would advise that you should not be put off from on dojo's or students out look on Aikido.

Aikido as a system takes longer to apply in the real world. Most sensei would agree with that statement. It was never a quick fix system and never will be. It takes time and deciation to apply and understand.

Dealing with attacks in real time? An interesting term I have never heard before. I will agree that the attacks in Aikido are not the most powerful. But they are not supposed to be, they teach the direction of energy that can be applied to anything strike/grab/kick. Whether this energy is purely physics or some other energy, lies with the individual.

Most people from what I have read talk about Aikido getting swamped with attacks and getting tarshed. First thing about Aikido, is that if the Aikidoka is a good one, there will only be one attack and one counter and that would be that. If not, then maintain good distancing is critical, to either get them to over commit or room from an attack.

60 year old women in Aikido that has not be practicing for some years wont survive the break falls so its probably best they dont study Aikido, or any throw art.

Hope this helps. ;)

physcospaz said "Hmm, I would advise the practitioner to train in something practical and easy to learn/use first, so that while learning Aikido, they can defend themselves. Of course, if they're not worried about getting into fights for the time being, they need not waste precious training time on something they are't going to be using."

My point exactly.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 2 weeks later...

I like to think of a martial art as a tool. It's only as good as the carpenter using it. You can defend yourself with Aikido. It takes many years to do so. Aikido is taken dirrectly from jujutsu which was proven on the battlefields of feudal Japan. Aikido is strictly a defensive style. I don't believe there are any offensive techniques taught till the higher dan ranks. As far as the 60 year old woman example, I think in it's true form aikido can be for any age. O Sensei looked like a stiff wind would have knocked him over, but he could still perform aikido. As far as the breakfalls go, they should be done no harder than sitting down in a chair.

Aikidoka by nature don't boast and brag about their style. The whole philosiphy of the art is not about that. Litterally translated it means "The Path to Spiritual Harmony." I think Lao Tsu summed it up best when he said "To be better than someone is to be worse than everyone."

Edited by LOILOI44