• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Specialty kata

SaiFightsMS

It is a tradition in many types of karate for students to pick a kata to specialize in as they become more advanced students.

Do you have a specialty kata?

Which one is it?

I have two that I spend a lot of extra time working with as a sort of specialty. One is tekki shodan, (I know many hate it), and hangetsu.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Okiniwa even today teachers will only teach a student 2 or possibly 3 Katas. One for strengh and one for fluidity.

When my teacher wanted to learn the 12 katas of Goju Ryu had to go all over Okiniwa and Malaysia. The applications a particular kata certainly do suit different people. In Goju Ryu Saifa is definatley a desendent from White Crane and is suited to a much smaller and agile person. But a kata like Saiichin is definatley a Tiger kata and is suited to a much bigger person. Also there maybe different interpretations of the same kata and some interpretaions may be taught to different people. My teacher is teaching a kata to the brown belts in the class who are great big blokes but has taught his 2nd Dan grade who is a very small female the kata differently, with some parts differant stances and sometimes doing a chudan instead of a jodan and so on.

Steve Morris in Horsham easily the most devastations and feared people out there has 3rd Dans who only know 2 or 3 katas! Usually Sanchin, Saifa, and Gekisai Daichi. It is definatley about quality and not quanitiy, but in this modern Karate-Do world which genrally makes up 90% of the Karate out there have the all to familiar grading every 3 months routine, so you end up being a black belt in 3 years with 20 or so katas under your belt with not a single one understood, your just left with shapes.

I think I would have to have many more years of training before I would ever know what kata would suit me, but I do like the applications from the kata Gekisai Daiichi. I love the simple fourarm attcks and the tearing techniques in it.

in my dojo, my sensei teaches all the katas gradually... i know almoust all of the kata... and then i choose one to practice...

i'm doing Seisan a lot, but I used to train Empi and i'm learnin Nipaipo...

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

You'll have to excuse my highly Americanized spelling of these kata names; I never see them written down. I'm going for phonetic spellings :)

I've probably spent the most time working on K-Beck, simply because it's the 1st dan kata, and I've had my black belt longer than any other belt.

It's not my favorite though. There's a tie for that :

Pinyon 5 (red belt--3rd kyu)

Chung-Mu (1st brown--1st kyu)

I love them because they're complex, difficult, flashy and powerful. Pinyon 5 starts off slow, with power moves, then switches into a high-speed series of movements. A lot of people tend to make this kata look sloppy, so I take extra pride in doing it correctly with proper form and sharp movements.

Chung-Mu is a nice, advanced kata. It's best done with a lot of attitude and a really ticked off expression on your face, like this: :kaioken:

:lol:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.