• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

do you fold your uniform after class?

tommarker

exactly...Until I get some Tokaido Gi...I dont care much about it as long as it gets to the laundry

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have tokaido. Still just folded and put in bag, then washed when I get home.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

It's just a gi people.

Ah, but there's a reason for everything in your training, one would argue...

This is somewhat relevant, to an extent...

Hagakure, Chapter One:

" Every morning, the samurai of fifty or sixty years ago would bathe, shave their foreheads, put lotion in their hair, cut their fingernails and toenails rubbing them with pumice and then with wood sorrel, and without fail pay attention to their personal appearance . It goes without saying that their armor in general was kept free from rust, that it was dusted, shined, and arranged.

Although it seems that taking special care of one's appearance is similar to showiness, it is nothing akin to elegance. Even if you are aware that you may be struck down today and are firmly resolved to an inevitable death, if you are slain with an unseemly appearance, you will show your lack of previous resolve, will be despised by your enemy, and will appear unclean. For this reason it is said that both old and young should take care of their appearance.

Although you say that this is troublesome and time-consuming, a samurai's work is in such things. It is neither busy- work nor time-consuming. In constantly hardening one's resolution to die in battle, deliberately becoming as one already dead, and working at one's job and dealing with military affairs, there should be no shame. But when the time comes, a person will be shamed if he is not conscious of these things even in his dreams, and rather passes his days in self- interest and self-indulgence. And if he thinks that this is not shameful, and feels that nothing else matters as long as he is comfortable, then his dissipate and discourteous actions will be repeatedly regrettable."

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

It's just a gi people.

Ah, but there's a reason for everything in your training, one would argue...

This is somewhat relevant, to an extent...

Hagakure, Chapter One:

" Every morning, the samurai of fifty or sixty years ago would bathe, shave their foreheads, put lotion in their hair, cut their fingernails and toenails rubbing them with pumice and then with wood sorrel, and without fail pay attention to their personal appearance . It goes without saying that their armor in general was kept free from rust, that it was dusted, shined, and arranged.

Although it seems that taking special care of one's appearance is similar to showiness, it is nothing akin to elegance. Even if you are aware that you may be struck down today and are firmly resolved to an inevitable death, if you are slain with an unseemly appearance, you will show your lack of previous resolve, will be despised by your enemy, and will appear unclean. For this reason it is said that both old and young should take care of their appearance.

Although you say that this is troublesome and time-consuming, a samurai's work is in such things. It is neither busy- work nor time-consuming. In constantly hardening one's resolution to die in battle, deliberately becoming as one already dead, and working at one's job and dealing with military affairs, there should be no shame. But when the time comes, a person will be shamed if he is not conscious of these things even in his dreams, and rather passes his days in self- interest and self-indulgence. And if he thinks that this is not shameful, and feels that nothing else matters as long as he is comfortable, then his dissipate and discourteous actions will be repeatedly regrettable."

Despite the fact that my karate 'gi' can usually be found in a ball on the floor in my room after training, I always leave the house for karate looking immaculate. No samurai would ever guess how I treat my 'gis' after class. :wink: :P :lol:

In fact, the other day my mum came into my karate class to pick me up and the minute we got outside she exclaimed, "Some of those people were wearing old karate suits...they looked almost grey! I would never send you out looking like that!"

I just looked at her in amazement. She also gets frantic about the dirt on my karate 'gi' after class. If she picks me up she's like, "There's dust on that! You look so grubby! I hope no one sees you walking around like that..they'll think I can't take care of you properly." :roll:

Well, yes mum, you tend to look a little grubby after rolling about the floor and stuff. It happens, I'm sure no one will hold it against you personally, mum. :roll:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

My gi is also always clean. What I meant by saying that it is just a gi is that it isn't anything sacred. Of course it should be clean and odor free, but it is just an outfit that I work out in.

when i get home i wash my gi ASAP. Then when it is clean i put it on roll the sleeves.pant legs to a comfortable legnth and hang it up until the next class.

Roll up the sleeves and pant legs? Am I missing something?

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Some people don't hem they just roll up the excess lenght.

I remember one test there were some students testing for black belt. In the group was one in a brand new gi. An unhemmed gi. He was having a real problem with the pant legs coming unrolled every time he did certain kicks.

Another student was in an old gi. One he got before a growth spurt. I have no idea how he still managed to get into it, maybe with a shoe horn?

What a difference.