• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you ever wear your gi outside of the dojo?

SaiFightsMS

Do you wear your gi outside the dojo?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear your gi outside the dojo?

• yes
    • only the pants
    • on rare occcasions
    • no never

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought this was an interesting topic. I just have a couple of quick points to make.Personally I never where my dogi home because normally its soaking wet and its not good for you to wear damp clothes after training,really you should get dry and put some dry clothes on otherwise you could get a chill,its not particulaly good for your muscles either.Having said that I do live in England,with our weather you have to be double carefull.

Just a quick point some people may be interested in.In our Kyokushin syllabus for your very first grade you are expected to know how to fold your gi using all the seams so that your gi doesn't crease when going to and from your dojo.Its a very particular method that also involves the obi or belt.Its a method that was used in Japan and interestingly it doubles as a very effective weapon.My teacher speaks of his years in Japan when people could tell who the Budo boys were as they walked the streets of Tokyo because of this method of carrying your gi.He remembers a great feeling of pride as people would say look its one of those Budo boys,particulaly in that part of town it probably meant they were Kyokushin and so people left them be, funny that!Just gos to show how things are different,in this day and age and in my country if people on the streets saw you with a gi its more likely you'll get abuse or even challenged.

Never give in

perhaps, but that has yet to ever happen to me, personally. i've had people ask questions about it, but never start to pick a fight or anything.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Gino that is an interesting point on why there is a prescribed way to fold the gi.

Yes it is. Could you describe how to fold it?

This is how I do mine:

Lay the jacket out on the floor. Fold the pants in two (one leg on the other) and tuck it into the jacket.

Fold the left sleeve to the right shoulder and the right sleeve to the left. Fold the Jacket left to right and then roll the whole suit up. Use the belt to tie into a nice parcel. The belt also doubles as a handle.

I've done it this may since I read a book by Frank Perry, who described this as the "proper" way to fold your gi. How does this compare with your method?

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Hi people,

It's difficult to imagine by reading your post whether or not its's the same method, it does sound very similar though.Your certainly right that the belt is being used as a kind of handle.If you have a heavy weight gi and using your belt you swing your tightly rolled gi into someones body or head boy can you cause some damage.

By the way at the risk of sounding like a know it all, I thought you may be interested to know the way or at least one way you can tie your belt is so that it can become a very effective weapon also.Done properly in three quick moves or if your very good two moves your belt becomes a very usefull weapon.As I found out to my surprise whilst with my teacher once.

Telsun,if you check the introduction page you will find I've tryed to answer your queries.

OSU.

Never give in

Hey Gino. Yes I have seen your reply and am most grateful. I am in awe of your opportunity to train under Hanshi Steve Arniel and am most humbled by your presence on the forum.

It would seem that the closest club to me is Gravesend. Not the easiest place to get to from here. But one day.............

Do not be concerned with being a "know it all". You must have a great deal of knowledge to share and I am sure that noone will complain of you sharing it with us. If we already know then that's all very well, however there are many lower grades/ beginners on the forum.

Indeed, I for one would be interested in how to tie my belt to be used as a weapon. Let's see if you can describe how to do it better than I can describe how to fold a gi.................

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

It's nice to be part of this forum, everyone seems to be very polite towards each other which is nice to see bareing in mind your chosen martial art is a very personal thing and because of this these sort of forums very offen deteriorate into slanging matches.

Telsun, you will most probably find the way you already tie your belt is the right way to turn it into a weapon.A type of reef knot (I believe is the correct name)is normaly used.So if you pull either end it can become very tight but can be very quickly released.

I hope to learn alot from this site about other styles and perhaps even my own.Hopfully we can learn from each other.

OSU.

Never give in