• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you ever wear your gi outside of the dojo?

SaiFightsMS

Do you wear your gi outside the dojo?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear your gi outside the dojo?

• yes
    • only the pants
    • on rare occcasions
    • no never

Wearing your gi outside the dojo is an invitation for people to poke fun at you. I wear the pants and a T shirt on the way to and from the dojo, rarely the top. I never wear the belt in public. Not for any reason other than that it seems like you are just trying to advertise your rank. "Hey look at me, I'm a black belt!" (I'm not really, just an example)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we only have 1 bathrooms which is also the changing area so i sometimes wear my pants home when i have to get out if there and it is getting late and someone elseis in the changing room. we also ruin in ot pants after sparring class on friday's.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

just out of curiosity SMR, what rank are you? (not trying to up you, because i cant! when i switched from Shotokan to isshinryu i dropped my yellowbelt and have started back with white again)

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I only wear the pants to and from the dojang. As it was stated before, you may draw uneccesary attention from onlookers when you wear the top. The only time i've done it is if im sweaty and it's cold outside.

https://www.kimsookarate.com

Krav-Maga, Tai Chi Chu an, Karate, Aikido, Hapkido, Taekwon Do, Judo

I remember that in Sweden, everybody used to walk home on the street with their gi's on, lol. And I did that also. Of course, the belts were taken off, but the rest of the gi was on. Nobody looked at us like that

--> :dodgy: , we were rather like: :angel:

But they just do like that because they are so lazy after the training and they just wanna get home and relax.

In Estonia, it's completely different. Nobody wears the gi outside the Dojo and if somebody does that, then it's *strange* :dodgy: and like: :o

But I don't care, 'cause I used to do that in Sweden. I don't wear the belt on and I don't wear the pants either, only the top of the gi. And I have a jacket on it. I never fold my gi, 'cause after training I leave my gi on and go straight into the car and drive home. At home I have my gi on for a while and before I go to bed, I take a shower and then I put my gi somewhere on the chair (if it is dirty, then I'll put it in the shower also and wash it.

Kill is love

• 3 weeks later...
I never where my Gi outside the DoJo, other than when I'm coming and going. There was one time when I had a tournament but we showed up really early so me and my dad went to the grocery store, I was only wearing my pants and my Shidoakn t-shirt, but people where still lookin at me like :dodgy:. But other than that I never where my Gi outside the DoJo, At my DoJo they practicly give us a t shirt every other week, because they have tons of them layin around so I have like 50. I wear them everywhere, you'll almost never see me without my Shidokan T-shirt.

Head Kick....

This is a good question...and I never realized the answer until I thought about it. When I'm in my whites, I change at the dajong, in my black uniform I put it on at home. One cup of coffee on the way to training is a standard procedure (its a 35 minute ride) and whites and moving coffee do not mix. We don't have good changing facilities where I train.

That's caffine abuse! Na just kiddin ya. I've been training almost three years and only once spilled coffee on my uniform. I wasn't driving either. I was perfectly still, sitting in a chair in the dojang after class, and I had " a hole in my chin." ggggrrrrrrrrr I never spilled coffee driving. I'm a coffee drinker like some people are alcaholics, so I don't waste a drop of coffee, except that day.

Laurie F

I never wear my dobok or rank outside of class! It is arrogance and will eventually get you in trouble. I will admit that I have less respect for a martial artist when I see him/her "advertising" outside of class. :kaioken:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We were just sent a note that for the upcoming shiai we are encouraged to wear our gis to the dojo because of space limitations in the change room :( Thank goodness I will be driving and not walking!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Come to think of it, I just realized that on the way to my dojang, I don't wear my uniform .... hmmmm. I changed and didn't realize it (my mind that is) hehehehe. But from the dojang I do keep it on. I have to rush out and drop off my nephew (who now takes class with me), so we just bolt out after class.

Laurie F