• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you ever wear your gi outside of the dojo?

SaiFightsMS

Do you wear your gi outside the dojo?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear your gi outside the dojo?

• yes
    • only the pants
    • on rare occcasions
    • no never

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to and from class. that would be an excellent way to be yelled at. i can see it being ok for studios without any sort of changing area, but we've got a more than adequate locker facility.

When the dojo becomes the outdoors, as what happens often in the summer, then we do wear uniforms outside. But only for training.

If I train outdoors, I only wear the pants, since they are comfy, but being the lone loony in the park in a karategi gets unneeded attention sometimes :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I voted never, though I wore it once in an isolated incident whee I just nipped out for a sec. :) I also wear it to practice in demos and tournaments, but that is for use in training in my book.

I don't believe we have a policy on it, I just think that coming from and going to a dojo in your gi is too child-like. I see lots of kids do it at the dojo. It reminds me of going to my brother's hockey games and seeing all the kids all dressed up in their uniforms, skates and all, before even getting out of the car.

That reminds me of a story about an adult male who decided he wanted to start playing hockey (he'd never played as a kid). His buddies picked him up and lo and behold he was in full hockey equipment! LOL He never lived that one down. :)) Sorry, off topic, but you get the idea :D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I wear the pants to the gym a lot. I usually take the top off and just wear a T or Sweat Shirt however today I wore the whole thing home. Well I took the belt off. But yeah. No big deal.... I don't wear it to go pick up girls O. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I do. Well, to and from class. If I choose to go out after, I bring a change of clothes. But I usually go straight to class and straight home, so I don't bother. I usually just thow a jacket or a sweat shirt over it. If I know I have to make a quick stop after class, I'll take off my belt and top and throw on my sweat shirt. In the summer, however, I do change into a t-shirt. Even if I am going straight home. My uniform is too hot to leave on. But I wear the pants out, cause they are soooooo comfy :)

My dojang doesn't have a policy on that, or I never been yelled at, anyways LOL. I would have known it by now if there was.

One day when I did wear my uniform (not the belt) to make a stop at a "quick mart," the cashier thought I was a nurse (my uniform is white TKD thing). I just said yea LOL.

Laurie F

My dojo has fairly limited changing areas...a small bathroom for the students, a medium-size room (leadership team office/storage room...dual functioning :lol: ) for leadership team, and Instructors change in the Instructor office. So technically, I would have plenty of changing room, but I never have the occasion to.

The only time I ever change at the dojo is if I just came from somewhere that I had to wear street clothes, or if I was going to someplace directly after being at the dojo. That's it.

I voted for "just the pants" because there will be times that we go to the grocery store on the way home...I usually take off my gi top to go inside, but if it's cold I might leave it on. I've never had the nerve to wear my black belt to the grocery store :lol: Plus, who wants to get produce on your belt? :down:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I wear it to go from the car park into train and from where we train back out to the car park. There is changing rooms that I could use. I used them once though and just got my self worked up. I kept panicking that I was going to walk into the hall and everyone would have started, so I prefer just to throw it on before I leave the house.

After all, its not like I'm walking all the way there in it or anything, its just a few metres from the car inside and back again at the end of class. I don't usually cover it with a jumper or anything and sometimes I feel stupid, like I'm "announcing" that I do karate to show off or something, but I just don't want to have to have the extra bulk of a jumper to carry around with me.

There's no official policy at my club against wearing it outside of training. My sensei never wears his on the way to karate, he gets changed at the place, and the other instructor sometimes wears his under a jacket; sometimes gets changed in the changing rooms, and everyone else just does whatever they prefer.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.