• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt tips in Seiza

omnifinite

here's a question, when taking off your belt who lets their belt touch the floor?

also when going outside of the dojo who wears their belt before they get to class?

Last one when in seizer (bowing in to the class) who has their belt straps on the inside of your legs rather than the outside?

I don't care if my belt touches the floor... it touches it plenty when I'm on the floor :). I don't wear my belt outside of training, which would be in adherence to tradition I guess, but mainly I don't do it because I think it's tacky.

I'm not sure what the last question means?

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
at the start of the class when you are on your knees

bowing to whoever it is your school bows to

Oh I see. Can't help you there, we bow standing.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Well I let my belt touch the floor when I'm taking it off. Its a long belt, I'm a short person and it'd be damn near impossible to avoid it touching the floor. It does touch the floor plenty of times during class when I'm wearing it eg. when we do sit ups etc. so I don't mind it briefly touching the floor when I'm putting it on or taking it off.

I wear my belt and gi outside the dojo, but only to walk from the car park inside and back to the car park again after class. Its not like I'm walking down the street with it on or anything.

My class doesn't perform seated bows, we only perform standing ones. I went to aikido for a short time and we performed seated bows there, but I never even considered where the ends of my belt were.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

I split this topic off from the do you wash your belt thread. It looked like this might be a different area of discussion.

For those who begin/end class in a traditional seated manner in seiza is there an established pattern for where the end of your belt is when you sit down?

Ours went to the outside of the legs. It wasn't a set policiy or anything it was just where almost everyones belt tips happened to go when they sat down.

I don't think we have any sort of policy (Tang Soo Do)

I take "don't let your belt touch the floor" with a big ol' grain of salt. If the tips hit the floor in seiza, it means I've lost some weight :) It's going to hit during ukemi-waza anyway or most hosinsul exercises.

When I take off my belt, I fold it in half, then wrap it around my neck loosely like you might with a towel.

When I change, it is a personal act of respect not to throw it on the floor while I fold my uniform. I hang it up on a locker, or keep it around my neck.

Being at a university, I've found my share of colored belts laying on the floor in the locker room. Belts from my studio get stolen by me, and can only be returned after singing a humiliating song in front of everyone.

God help me if I ever find a black belt.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I take it off, fold it and put it in my bag. I don't concern myself about it touching the floor, though; it touches the floor all the time.

In seiza, I have done both - it has sometimes depended on how long it is, as before black belt I was presented with belts of varying lengths.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

My taking on that is it laying in the floor or you throwing it in the floor. If it touches while your putting it on by mistake or setting no big deal.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."