• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

grading difficulty

devilthaiboxer

does anyone else think that the green belt grading is the first hard grading? my other 2 gradings were not that hard and the techniques werent rely hard to remember or do (except that damned one step)

but in my green belt grading there were moves iv never seen before :-? and the ''light'' sparring was very hard :evil:

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I must say I don't remember as it was well over 10 years ago. They each got progressively harder, though, and I remember green's significance for two reasons 1. half way to black, which was emphasized, 2. multiple opponents in the sparring. I think it strange they would ask you to grade if you didn't know all the required moves yet, though.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

i was so nervous in green belt grading

it wasn't actually that hard though - but do your grading as though your life depends on it.

isn't 4th kyu halfway to black belt?

which is our red (some schools purple)

The higher the rank the more difficult the tests become. Keep this in mind. More is expected out of you as you progress. The first few tests are usually somewhat easy. Once you reach a certain level they become quite involved.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

isn't 4th kyu halfway to black belt?

which is our red (some schools purple)

It might be for you guys but at our dojo it goes White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Brown, Black, and Green is 3rd Kyu for us. It was always represented as our halfway point. :)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

i knew all my techniques i had to do but they were all very different from the last few in that they used stances and techniques i had not used before and. Things like kokutsu dachi and the chudan ushiro mawashi geri were the hardest.The order of grades in my school which is shukokai is:

white yellow orange green blue purple brown1st brown2nd brown3rd and then 1st dan black

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

Green (6th gup/kyu) in TSD was the hardest rank for me period (I mean after I got it). I just started to spar, break, and I was finally developing good technique. And I had to learn one of the hardest forms (I thought back then) pyung ahn e dan.

Now that I switched dojangs, blue is the hardest. Taegeuk 6 is a b***h (and I'm still struggling with Taegeuk 5), plus I have to relearn everything from white belt to blue belt. I've been there a month or so, and learned almost half of the stuff, so I think I'm doing pretty good.

Laurie F

The concept of asking for more than you can comfortably do is the sign of a good instructor. Around about 6th Kyu gradings should be more challenging. The important thing is not that you can successfully do, say, Hidari Zenjutstsu-dachi, renzoku age uke, masotouke,uraken uchi, gedan barai, mae geri, mawashi shuto uchi, ushiro mawashi geri, uraken uchi, gyaku zuki. Repeat.....

the imprtant thing is that you try.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I think 4th kyu is where many begin to slow down in their progress. There are more techniques but more importantly all techniques must look better and better as time goes on. They must be faster and have more power. Stances must be better. Sloppines in forms is not tolerated.

In many ways that is the point where one begins to realize how much more work may be in store for them between where they are and the highly coveted black belt.

I always say that around fifth or fourth Kyu one sees the light at teh end of the tunnel, but one is certain that it is an approaching train!

:D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!