• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Second art

If you were to start practising a second art, would it be better to choose an art that is completely the opposite to your current art (e.g. tai chi (soft) - karate(hard)(i dont want an argument about whats hard and whats soft (or that i've used too many brackets))) to get experience in a broad range of styles, or to choose one thats similar?

For those who think I might be changing from karate, then no worries, I'm simply interested in what people think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

lol! I think you did have one too many ) bracket up there...

*ducks*

I think from what I've read so far that it is better to go for a contrasting style...although I dunno about Tai chi and Karate...but more like doing opposite styles, like boxing and grappling... :uhoh:

probably partly depends on why you are doing the second art, to learn something new, to 'round' out your skills, just to say you know so much :grin: what are your reasons behind beginning a new one?

James

Train in whatever you feel. Soft or hard, internal or external, you'll find out that every art has many of the same techniques, just a little different way to do it or set it up. Do what you are interested in.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

i don't really know what your looking for.....but with me it's TAEKWONDO and HAPKIDO.....both are korean and compliment each other..........it's what i have always done and always will..........i have tried other arts but they don't seem to flow with me as these has........... :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

I think it's because I have always cross-trained from the beginning that I have complete mastery over my body. I can train in any art and incorporate it into my own "style". Where I see many times that people that have trained only 1 system have a hard time cross-training into most of the systems I teach. You'll start to notice, as you are exposed to and crosstrained in other arts, that they all start to look the same. Most of the martial arts have the same techniques, it's just the application, set-up and emphasis's change.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

I Study Okinawan Kobudo as a second art, in fact I was graded 10th Kyu last Saturday by Shihan Albie O'Connor.

Sensei O'Connor (as he prefers to be called), also studies an art called 'Monk Fist Boxing' (another Okinawan martial art), which I found rather interesting. It consists of plenty of armlocks and grappling, head butts, biting, pressure point striking etc. There were certain moves, which reminded me a little of Kung Fu with one or two other styles all rolled into one (if you know what I mean).

In fact, I wouldn't mind finding out more about it myself :grin:

Goose

8th Kyu Shotokan Karate

10th Kyu Okinawan Kobudo

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

[ This Message was edited by: Goose on 2001-09-10 13:42 ]

Goose

6th Kyu Shotokan Karate

9th Kyu Okinawan Kobudo

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

• 2 months later...