• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When are you all going to realise that boxing actually exist

Right on man. All comments noted. But I am trying to explain this to you abnout boxing. If you try to fight like you do in a boxing match, ya your toast. No doubt about it. But don't dismiss boxing. It can give you some of the tools that can help you out in a fight. A hard hook to the jaw has ended many street fights. Is boxing the ultimate? No, there isn't one. But don't write it off without taking this into account.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No One seems to react to any posts listing boxing as effective. It seems to be constantly pushed to the back and not regarded as a martial art or even a fighting system.

I think most of you are too scared of it.

I think the rest of you cant face the fact that something that seems so simple is so effective.

I would like to point out that boxing is highly complex and the most underated system in this forum appart from a few and they know who they are anyway."

simply boxing is effective. simple fighting is effective. boxing can be complex to because there are many more moves & techniques one can learn. obviously the longer training time the better and more effective the techniques.

I love boxing.

Simple 1 - 2 punches can already

be very effective in real combat.

But if a boxer want to fight without

glove. He should train the

hardiness of fist

(Even Mike Tyson broke his

fist when throwing punch)

What more is to

tackle kick, knee or throw.

In real fight, we would not

just clinch and wait for a break.

Even if you are in ring, there

are some fights between Sanda and

Boxing from 1998 - 2000 USA and China

(Surely, the boxer may not be the best

while Sanda fighters are the best in China)

In those competition, boxer are usually block by

a side kick or throw on the ground.

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

each martial art has its good points and bad.

the most common disadvantage of boxing would not be kicking. However you have to go back to the old england pugilists who believed that kicking was cowardly. Most britans wore shoes or heavy boots being kicked with a big heavy boot is not nice.

Infact if you go way back wrestling and grappling were also incorported into boxing untill this one guy I forget the name, destroyed the grapplers/punchers just by punching this was a huge crowd pleaser and more competatants started to use there fists over grapples.

Later on the rivalry between the french and english was quite strong. The French had there martial art Savate which was made up of almost entirely kicking. The french Savate' and the english boxer had a match the english boxer basicly anhilated the frenchmen because he never kept his fists in front of his face, used his hands for balance and momentum. After he got beat he went to england and trained for several years in boxing came back to france and started his school le boxing de francais. In which the kicks were still used from Savate but all of the punches are from english boxing. Welcome to modern day kickboxing !

By the way the foot work involved in boxing is amazing! Second to none.

uh, thats not exactly where todays kickboxing came from

anyway, boxing is effective because it does one thing more than anything else- it teaches you to punch. street fights involve mostly those and wrestling like stuff, so if you can punch like a boxer you can cause some damage- hopefully not to your own fist. either way, its good for fighting if youre a strong person. ever seen a serious boxer outside of the ring go nuts? i hope i never do from a first person perspective....

a broken arm throws no punches

• 2 weeks later...

It seems some people on this thread are hung up on the idea of "boxing" being the same thing as "professional boxing." I could use the same arguments to bash any other martial art.

"Clearly, TKD is crap. I've seen the tournaments, those guys don't deliver hardly any force at all."

"Jui-jitsu guys are wimps. I saw one in a pro competition give up the other day just because another guy was about to break his arm."

A boxer would not fight in the street the same as they fight in the ring. They don't punch below the belt because of the rules.. it doesn't mean they are incapable, or even that they don't practice it. It is also folly to suggest that a boxer is so set in their ways of punching that they would not kick you if given the opportunity. Knees and kicks may not be a part of the "art," but they are a part of brawling, which I think everyone mixes into their art in a real fight. A person who trains to kick will no doubt be better at kicking, but taking a punt to the shin will hurt regardless of how much training the user has. Furthermore, a boxing stance is probrably more stable than a lot of martial arts, so I don't think a boxer would have much difficulty knocking a traditional martial artist to the ground with a solid punch. Even if you blocked it it would probrably still send you way off balance. I think that boxing is one of the more street-oriented martial arts because of it's focus on power. The complex the move, the more thought you are going to have to put into executing it, thus the less brainpower you will have remaining to assess the situation and pick an appropriate next move. A boxer would likely also have very good timing, which is very important in defeating the other persons guard.

It's also worth considering that a boxer would, in many cases, be able to simply IGNORE your kicking attacks and clobber you even as you kick as fast as you can.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• 4 weeks later...

I've studied karate and now do a sort of kickboxing / muay thai combination in which we use a boxing stikes and defences.

In my opinion, boxers have by far the best hand system - far superior to traditional karate (and I would guess other similar styles).

We often get ex-karate students trying out at our club, and their hand system is clearly inadequate against a boxer. Most noticable are that they carry their arms low leaving their head open to attack - and consequently get hit easily with the target pads.

However, historically boxers haven't been able to compete with muay thai fighters because, whilst probably slightly weaker on the hands, their kicking system is so effective that they can out fight the boxer.

Obviously in a street fight a boxer may decide to use kicks, but it is unrealistic to expect that these untrained techniques could compete with their muay thai equivalents or with the toughened legs and shins of the muay thai fighter.

Boxing certainly has it's place, but due to it's nature as a sport rather than pure fighting discipline it is incomplete as a fighting style. However, muay thai and maybe kickboxing are the only styles that would clearly out fight a boxer; karate/tkd fighters would struggle because of their lack of use of the boxing hand system and limited use of low kicks.

Just a few more logs to throw into the conflagration...

1) Most real fights start at punching range

2) A lot of fights are finished by the first punch or two

So, having trained, powerful punches would seem essential for effective "real" fighting. This puts the boxer at a distinct advantage compared to some arts.

But...

3) Fights that last beyond the first couple of punches will often end up in grappling range, even on the ground.

4) Most modern boxers learn to deliver punches while wearing gloves, and don't necessarily punch in the best way to cause damage and protect their hand while punching barefisted.

So, boxing is a strong first style to have for real fighting, but some barefist practice and grappling work could make it a lot stronger.

Finally...

5) Western Boxing was in the not-too-distant past a more rounded style than we see today, while it didn't have any kicks it was barefisted and allowed headbutting, forearm/elbow strikes and some throws such as the cross-buttock throw (hip throw) and back heel throw (o soto gari)

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.