Do you wash your belt?

karate_woman

Do you wash your belt?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you wash your belt?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I don't generally wear my gi out of the dojo unless I'm doing a karate demonstration. The only other time I left the dojo in my gi I was just dropping my daughter off and coming straight back so I didn't take it off. I felt kind of goofy in it, but I was supposed to help Sensei with a class and didn't want to waste any more time changing since I was going to end up coming back partway through class as it was.

I don't have any feelings about my belt or any part of the gi touching the floor (I roll around in it, come on!), but I wouldn't just leave it in a heap either.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only wash my belt once-when new so it the color doesn't wash off.

Tips inside in seiza.

It touches the floor during sweeps and throws so....?

NEVER wear my belt or uniform outside of class (unless at a demo,etc.)

Here's a tradition my sensei passed on: When attaining a new belt, the old one is folded in half twice and tied in a knot. The knot must never be untied as this would represent a return to the old you.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I don't ever wash my belt. In fact, my original BB from 1986 has only gotten a bath when we did beach training and were working out at waist level surf :brow:. My belt has since faded to a light black/dark gray, and remains in tact :) . Wish I could find the same type belt if ever I need a new one.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

It’s only a belt, it is only as important as you make it. If you feel it isn’t disrespectful to wash your belt then of course your going to wash it and vice versa. Everyone has there own traditions that they uphold, but it doesn’t really matter as long as you do what you think is right.

Personally I would never wash any of my belts (the only time my belt goes in the water is when we do water training), I don’t sit down whilst wearing it (in a chair I mean) and I always go to one knee or into sieza when I take it off. All other times it is folded into eighths (unless it’s hanging out to dry). Obviously I’m very respectful of my belt but that’s just me.

- Only by contrast can we see.

- Each for his own.

Wow, KU. You are more extreme than me. Bless you! If and when I get my black, I will never wash it (except when I first get it, so the color don't run). In my school, the first three dan ranks, you have the same rank (or belt). You can't tell who is who unless you are a 4th dan, which as writing on it. 5th dan has the black with red stripe through it.

Laurie F

Well this is just the tradition that has been instilled in me by my sensai, you do tend to have a great deal of respect for that black belt when you get it.

Just a tip when you first get your belt to stop the colour running out, try soaking it in a dilute vinegar solution (1:5) for a few days, this should lock in the colour. I wouldn’t do it to one of my belts (I like to keep them as traditional as possible) but I know people who have and it works quite well.

- Only by contrast can we see.

- Each for his own.

Amazing how everyone has there own strange traditions that smack common sense and basic hygene in the face...

As I said in another post (thinking it was here) washing your belt is ok, washing your jock strap washes away all your hard work.

And while we are on the subject, you should never wear deodorant in class as it blocks your chi...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Interesting, I don't ever recall the black running when I got my belt even after heavy workouts. Then again we wore black gi's, so maybe it did, and I didn't notice it.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I never wash my belt. Belts are supposed to get dirty. That's the basis of the colored belt system.

From what I understand, back before colored belts were around, the belts became darker from dirt, sweat, etc. It was a sign of hard work.

I don't like squeaky clean training anyway. Training is about forging. I dig the Rocky IV experience more than the perfectly painted new and shiny dojo experience.

Know thyself.