karate_woman

Do you wash your belt?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you wash your belt?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

i work out 3 times a week.

and, because of all the sweating that i do i wash my belt once a week.

i think it's pretty nasty to have a sweat-filled belt that you wear all the time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never wash my belt either, it would get way tinted and lose its shinyness! =oP

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make" -Bruce Leehttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/otn/other/leseratte.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileystooges.gif

no. i have never worn our belt. in the handbook i'm pretty sure it said something about it being disrespectful or something. mine hasn't smelled very bad either.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

I have never washed my belt and I guess I won't do it either. You know the old big guys with black belts, their belts look always so old or something.. a bit white and it looks like the black colour is getting old. Actually, I think they wash their belts every day to show their cool belt and that they are the BIG masters iwith X-dan :D lol

Kill is love

NEVER wash your belt. IT was fade and shrink and all those bad things. I've seen too many people wash them and they come out weird looking.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

belts are made of cloth and can get stinky and sweaty just like anything else. some belts may shrink, if so get them dry cleaned or use a home dry clean kit or maybe even do it by hand. but dont be stupid. look, the japanese are a very picky and obsessively clean people, do you really think they dont wash there stinky belts? if it needs cleaning, clean it.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

It is really kind of interesting how passionate some people are about this topic. The black belt is such a symbol to people in and out of the martial arts I don't think there is any other single thing in the active, ( I wanted to say sporting or athletic), world that has such universal recognition.

The only thing I can come up with that is an honor you earn and wear is a varsity letter. When my varsity jacket got dirty it got cleaned letter and all.

I never have or never will wash my belt

It's gotta be dirty!! Much like the traditional idea of the white belt dirtying to become the blackbelt I kinda like my belts being dirty because it symbolizes all the sweat and stuff i've trained with.

here's a question, when taking off your belt who lets their belt touch the floor?

also when going outside of the dojo who wears their belt before they get to class?

Last one when in seizer (bowing in to the class) who has their belt straps on the inside of your legs rather than the outside?

When I had a white belt I always washed it with my gi when it looked grubby and it never came to any harm (I wore it at aikido for a while where we spent a lot of time rolling around on not too clean mats). I've always washed my coloured belts when I've first got them to stop the colour coming out on my gi, but after that only washed them occasionally if they looked too mucky or the times I've managed to get blood all over them :-P. I suppose that if/when I get a shiny black belt it will be different because the ones our dojo get presented with don't really look washable without spoiling.

In reply to theswarm I never wear my belt outside the dojo and only if I'm in a real big rush to get home do I ever wear my gi outside the dojo (and then only the pants, I'll put my normal top back on). In seiza the belt ends can go whereever they feel like and I've never really worry about the belt touching the floor when I take it off , though I normally just roll it up and put it back in my gym bag.