Do you wash your belt?

karate_woman

Do you wash your belt?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you wash your belt?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Just wondering how many of you wash your karate belts?

I haven't yet, but my belt doesn't stink, either; if it did I'd probably either buy a new one or wash it.

Edited by karate_woman

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im in a situation wear im only going in to a 'dojo' (its actually just my instructors house) maybe twice to three times a month, just to make sure im not screwing up, to learn some new techniques that are harder to find, and to test when im ready. im mostly self trained besides that and i do train often. so if im not going to a tournament, im not going to my 'dojo' and my gi is still standable to me, ill just train in it and not worry about it. I do wash my gi often though, and when i do i usally wash it alone and then wash my belt with the colors. you probably already know this, but theres an old wives tale about not washing the belt 'with it you will wash away your accomplishments.' this is BS, washing the belt is not a sign of disrespect, just wash it with your colors whenever you wash you gi.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

I had to wash my daughter's white belt once due to getting an ugly water stain on it, but in general I don't.

So far my belts have been upgraded within about 3 months each so they don't get that dirty in that amount of time.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

Fabreeze!!!!! :D

I do not wash mine just a rinse in cold water and a fabreeze spritz.

The last time I tried to wash a belt it shrunk :o .

It took me a week to figure out I really did not gain any weight :P .

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I got a good laugh out of that shotochem.

I have had belts that I have worn for a long period of time. And being someone who sweats a lot in class they did develope and odor. So yes, there has been some times I took a shower with my belt in the water with me. Not wearing it but with it spread out around the bottom of the tub so that it got a good rinse. Then it was drip dried.

I didn't used to. I wash them in cold water (and hang it to dry. I don't put it in the dryer) when I first get them, so when I sweat, the color won't "run." After that, I can't wash them once we get "tips" or stripes. They would come off :(

Laurie F

I wash my belt when it needs it.

I've never washed the belt I have right now, but I washed my white belt once as it had turned brown in places and looked downright disgusting. It shrunk because I just chucked it in the washing machine and tumble dryer like the right idiot I am, but it was still wearable.

I don't take any notice of the whole "serious karatekas never wash their belts" rule. I mean its not particularly hygenic to leave it saturated in sweat.

As far as I know the Sensei at my school doesn't wash his belt, which is probably why I try to avoid standing too close to him. :lol:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Had to wash it, even though all my friends have that anti-belt washing feeling.

My belt was staining a black ring around all my white uniforms. The ring washes out, but it's really annoying to sit and scrub that all the time. Plus, the belt started growing this funky-smelling white crust on the inside.

Just popped it in the washer, cold wash, no detergent, hang dry. It didn't shrink much and the color stayed fairly intact. However, it STILL stains a black ring around my white gi! :evil: