• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alot of karate is from the West. I have yet to see one old drawing of a side thrust or roundhouse kick. They're not to be found in the Bubishi, the Chapasarat or any kungfu drawungs. They only appeared after the FAR Eastern martial artists came into contact with Savateurs and Cornish wrestlers. Also the ridgehand strike is a classic savate move. I defy anyone to prove me wrong. BTW Israel is on this side of the Himlayas and the guy that created it was an European Jew with a boxing and wrestling background.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Alot of karate is from the West. I have yet to see one old drawing of a side thrust or roundhouse kick. They're not to be found in the Bubishi, the Chapasarat or any kungfu drawungs. They only appeared after the FAR Eastern martial artists came into contact with Savateurs and Cornish wrestlers. Also the ridgehand strike is a classic savate move. I defy anyone to prove me wrong. BTW Israel is on this side of the Himlayas and the guy that created it was an European Jew with a boxing and wrestling background.

Intresting. Could you please site your source for the origins of the ridgeand. The earlist I cant trac it back in Okinawan Karate is to about the 1850's.

I hardly see the point in replying but i will anyway.

Mauy Thai, Kickboxing ,Krav Maga etc all embrace boxing and the ideas that go with that. Those ideas being training in a weatern manner weight lifting running etc and the way in which it is practiced. No Kata not much in the way of gradings all with full contact sparring etc get my point? You can group these systems as they have all learned their training techniques from the western way of traing if you like that or not.

Also there are many western martial arts (geographically)although you may not know about them. To think that only the east has them is ridiculous. There are German spanish english and irish systems etc. They have only white and black belts and are very good.

traditional styles weight train also - rock pole, rope pulley, iron rings, heavy weapons, etc.

Thats rather differnent from weights machines.

Please you lot try to understand the point and forget the georaphy stuff. I know where thailand is. Im saying that the training methods are now largely western in style and there is a divide on this forum between people who follow either the western influenced way or the eastern. FOrget about the little grey areas im trying to make a valid point that there is a classification here and that there is a conflict between the two on this forum.

Hmmm...i wonder where wing chun falls in. It is a very scientific art, as you pointed out "western" arts to be. but its obviously very eastern influenced as it comes from many chinese kung fu's.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

"Intresting. Could you please site your source for the origins of the ridgeand. The earlist I cant trac it back in Okinawan Karate is to about the 1850's."

I saw it in a savate manual. Admittedly it's not an antique manual. The author's name is Muggeridge. I've never seen it in an Oriental form though. Where does it occur? I may very well be mistaken on the ridgehand. The kicks I've looked at over and over though.

It is a tough decision. I think a lot of it depends on the fighter. Some ways of training work well for some as other ways work for others. I think having a tough environment such as training in Japan would tend to make a tougher person.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

This really isn't Western vs. Eastern. More like Non-traditional vs. Traditional or Modern vs. Ancient MAs. By stating Western and Eastern you are automatically implying a geographical sense. And then there are arts which are on the borderline of classification such as Wing Chun, it is scientific yet traditional, has modern thinking and application but is a 200 - 300 year old art.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee