• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is capoeira a good combative style?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is capoeira a good combative style?

• YES?
    • NO?

Personally, i dont think that it would be very effictive in a street fight. I consider it more of a dance and exercise than a martial art. The attacks are more for show i think, but hey, you could really impress people at a club, dance or party doing some of those awesome breakdancing kinda crazy spinning on your head kicks kinda like what eddy gordo from tekken 3 did.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think capoiera is more of dance martial art rather than a combat martial art. It can be effective, but i think tends to waste time during combat, its like they dance about, doing flashy moves that are great for camera, but less efficient when actually combat fighting. if you put capoeira in UFC then i think it would stand no chance. It might stand some chance when its just ground fighting, but when standing no much.

capoiera is better for performing really. i think it was amazing how it was developed and created though.

Capoeira is, after what I have seen, basically for show and nothing else!. I sure ass he** won’t be standing in on my hands in a fight while I’m displaying my family jewels, that’s for sure!. What’re gonna do to the attacker, bite him in the leg while he is bashing our balls out off your pants?. Looks kinda fancy, but thats it!. And great for those who wanna play a drum, because U learn that too!. :-))

Real capoeira and its applications contain plenty of in-fighting.

Like when the USA occupied Japan in WWII we outlawed the practice of Judo and Jujitsu because they were military techniques. We saw the Karate practitioners and left them alone thinking that it was a form of dance(they didn't spar back then).

Sorry, I wasn't aware of any time the US occupied Japan, or any time we outlawed practice of Judo and Jujutsu. The US did forbid Japan from having it's own standing military. Perhaps you might be thinking of the Meiji period(1868-1911) when the newly formed imperial government forbid the wearing of swords. Because of this jujutsu faded in Japanese society, which eventually caused Prof. Jigoro Kano to create Judo. If you have any doccumentation of this I would love to see it. This was always my impression of Japanese martial arts history. In the US Judo was alive and well before WWII. Even actors like James Cagney had a black belt in Judo which he earned well before WWII. Teddy Roosevelt even had his own dojo in the White House. There are even stories of Judo clubs arising out of Japanese internment camps. Sorry I'm just a stickler for history.

• 1 month later...

I think it would be street effective

I crosstrain in both karate and capoeira

my Mestre has been teaching for 21 years - I reckon he could kick many a person's ass.

First of all the conditioning strength in the body would help - we condition so much more than karate.

Secondly while there are alot of flowery techniques, the 'to the point' techniques and fighting concepts would be the ones you'd be using.

capoeira is a very evasive art.

anyway I gotta go

• 2 weeks later...
Capoeira has many different stlyes, like karate. It has ground-fighting, and a whole lot of nasty tricks. There are mcdojos in every art, and like TKD, a lot of the essence of the art has been lost in its "popularization" I once saw a video on the Discovery channel of some WICKED throws, chokes, and in-fighting. It is most popular as a dance now, as TKD and Judo as sports, but hell, the real stuff is dirty. To answer the question, YES the real stuff is ugly. For all you MA historians out there, check out an old Black Belt mag article called the " Black Power of Capoeira"

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

great clips guys. The first was funny about trying to get out of the ring, the other was a sweet take down. Well i sparred for a year against a practioner of capoeira, after that time he decided to study off of me instead of continueing his style. for a combat scenario he was pretty much useless, he would flip away from me everytime that i got close, so i did alot of fakes to make him move alot and just waited for him to get tired, then i beat the snot out of him, yet again it all depends on the fighter, i would say this style alone would not be too effective in combat, but then again all styles need to mix with others to be well rounded, that is where alot of the hybrid styles of today came into play, if it was mixed i think that it would be pretty sweet.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger