• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is capoeira a good combative style?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is capoeira a good combative style?

• YES?
    • NO?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does TKD work in a crowded area?

Prob. not to good that is why I also teach Kenpo.

How does Kenpo work in a crowded area?

GREAT!!!

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

My understanding of Capoeira is that the African slaves in Brazil were not allowed to practice their MA. For self-defense they incorporated the techniques into dance to hide the fact that they were doing MA. If a CapoeiraKa kicked someone's butt in public while dancing that would let the cat out of the bag and the local authorities would crack down on those who practice.

Like when the USA occupied Japan in WWII we outlawed the practice of Judo and Jujitsu because they were military techniques. We saw the Karate practitioners and left them alone thinking that it was a form of dance(they didn't spar back then).

I would assume that the dances are like kata, containing a whole range of techniques. In the interest of conserving energy and focus on destroying the enemy one would not dance around in a street fight. That would be just as stupid as doing a kata in a street fight. Any non-moron would just use what techniques were appropriate to the situation.

I saw that Brandon Lee move where he taught Capoeira to high school kids in Miami( I don't rember the name of the movie). I would think that anyone who danced in a fight like Brandon did would get their butt handed to them.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

I saw that Brandon Lee move where he taught Capoeira to high school kids in Miami( I don't rember the name of the movie). I would think that anyone who danced in a fight like Brandon did would get their butt handed to them.

Only the Strong.

Thats correct, mark dacasco is the son of Al Dacasco the founder of Won hop kuen do a branch of from the original kajukenbo.

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

oops

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

oops

Capoeira is, after what I have seen, basically for show and nothing else!. I sure ass he** won’t be standing in on my hands in a fight while I’m displaying my family jewels, that’s for sure!. What’re gonna do to the attacker, bite him in the leg while he is bashing our balls out off your pants?. Looks kinda fancy, but thats it!. And great for those who wanna play a drum, because U learn that too!. :-))

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!

Thnx 4 replie wc and i somewhat agree with u however try to hit someone that can move like they can, i have practiced regional capoeira and true, its not the most practical fighting method however it does complement your already existing skills IMO :D

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.