• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is capoeira a good combative style?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is capoeira a good combative style?

• YES?
    • NO?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with capoueira it's not necessarily designed for that purpose - but to make your body very strong and able, and flexible - but it's one of those sorta surprise arts where someone flings back and kicks you in the face and your like what the fuck.

i don't have enough experience with it to really make the call though

I think yo uhave to look at it in context..sure you might be able to use it in a fight but compare to to alot of other combative stlyes and they clearly get the job done better.

I have always wondered how effective it can be in a crowded pub/bar situation. In my opinion thats where a great deal of fighting encoutners occur - drunken idiots. If it is really crowded how can they perform such extravagant moves, even that takedown needed quite a large space to perform.

This isn't a critisism of capoeira, but something I think of often, such as TKD. I ams sure someone could provide a nice counter argument as most MA have good in them, just I lack an understanding in a particular area. I train in WC which is very close quartered, and I feel that it would be useful in a tight crowded situation.

Could anyone offer an explanation as to how capoira could work in this situation?

Thank you

Droo

Withers M.A.A could you perhaps offer some insight into how TKD works in a crowded situation? I am certain that I do not have a great understanding of TKD and I notice you are a practitioner. Or anyone else?

Thanks

Droo

I can not give u an explanation as too how a style would work in this intance however u must also factor in the realities with this kind of situation first obviously the guy is not alone u are in a club/pub second there are many weapons around that can either be used for or against u, and finally use ur head u dont wanna put ur self in that situation n e ways :lol: My student friend studies WC aswell and is much more experienced in it then me howevr he has become binded to his style i.e stances forms so on.... my point being whatever dicipline u fall under one must remember one important thing is that if u are not prepared and all u participate in is point fighting or katas when u get hit ur going down. I agree with alot of what u guys have posted and i have also found this loop hole int he style,when i first started capoeira regional i had natural talent at it because i use to breakdance, now in a test of my patience a intermidiate student struck me several times very hard and attempted to sweep me but he was the one on the floor :idea: My main point is that i have received many blows from many diff kind of ppl and i was prepared for such atts, now while it is most illogical to prepare urself to the full extend of a fighting situation its always better then nothin IMO :D

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

I have always wondered how effective it can be in a crowded pub/bar situation. In my opinion thats where a great deal of fighting encoutners occur - drunken idiots. If it is really crowded how can they perform such extravagant moves, even that takedown needed quite a large space to perform.

This isn't a critisism of capoeira, but something I think of often, such as TKD. I ams sure someone could provide a nice counter argument as most MA have good in them, just I lack an understanding in a particular area. I train in WC which is very close quartered, and I feel that it would be useful in a tight crowded situation.

Could anyone offer an explanation as to how capoira could work in this situation?

Thank you

Droo

Like I said before, the style has alot of infighting. the techniques were hidden, as practice was prohibited. Regional is more wushu-like in nature and does not stress the combat aspects. From what I understand, regional does. I've seen other clips where you see the elbows and takedowns as they're moving...I'll try to find them.

We have a Dance Teacher who studied in Brazil. She's trained in Capoeira.

She told me that right now, Capoeira is been teach in most of the places as a Dance and part of the culture of Brazil.

She also said that there are some groups who know how to teach it as a combat method but those are few compared to the one's who teach it as a Dance.