• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shihohai vs Fukyugata ichi

aes

As some of you know from my other posts I have been competing in tournements doing Katas.

The first one I was taught was Fukyugata Ichi. Full of turns and fast blocks.

Now I am being taught Shihohai, which is full of Kiba Dashi stances and punches combined with kicks.

I have been told that we are moving on to me learning this Shihohai Kata because it is impressive if done correctly and therefore wins tournements.

Is anyone here familiar with the two katas. Comments?

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have been told that we are moving on to me learning this Shihohai Kata because it is impressive if done correctly and therefore wins tournements.

Unfortunately, thats what happens in kata competitions nowadays - it depends on the kata, not the person.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

I am not familiar with shihohai.

It sounds like something that may be similar that happens to those who do tekki kata in competition. If the stances are done properly it scores well. Because it is a hard stance to move gracefully and kick out of.

I was looking for examples of this kata online in video form but did not find it. I found text descriptions though.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

I found a written description of shihohai on a chito ryu site. It is the depth of the stance and the ability of the person doing the kata to move from move to move smoothly in a deep stance that really makes the difference in katas done in kiba dachi or shiko dachi.