• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate or Gym?

You need some sort of strength training to make yourself at the peak of your ability when doing Martial Arts. You are not performing the best you can unless you are phyisically fit. You also need to be in shape and strong so that you can perfect techniques. So really Karate, and most other MAs, along with the Gym, or any other kind of strength training and keeping fit, are necessary to be the best MA you can be. However, in my opinion, if I could only participate in one I would pick the MA, in this case Karate.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

karate or gym?

i bought a 9 month gym membership for 200 dollars

i went once a week for about 2 months

i bought a karate membership for 48 dollars

I went once a week for 2 months - went heaps and heaps, and I still go - and i'm still enthusiastic and i still love it.

Although karate has kind of devloped my sense of self a bit as well- and I think if i went to the gym i'd probably be enthusiastic about it - the benefits of karate go beyond the physical

I havn't gone through all of the responses here, but in my view it depends upon what one wants from life and training, and what they enjoy doing.

If you enjoy learning martial arts, join a martial arts club! If you much prefer going to the gym, go the gym! If you enjoy both, incorporate them both to work together.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Remember by learning Martial ARts you are also learning something. By going to the gym you exercise your muscle to get stronger and get in shape. You can acheive these goals in the martial Arts also but at the same time learn something that may save your life.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Think about this. Whats the point of big mussles if you cant use them affectivly? But they are good to have :brow:

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Weight training is always benaficial to your martial art training. However, you should never let the muscle power you gain from weights to replace the subtleness of your chosen style. Moreover, some styles require more strength than others. While on other styles strength training would only be harmful. You must learn to tailor your weight training to your paticular style based on the amount of muscle versus technique your shooll requires of you.

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

First, I would like to say that blitzcraig's signature is very inapropriate, and that it can hurt someone's feelings. Also, it can be said much better, such as: "you will never be good at something until you're good at it." And plus, you can learn some proper grammer while YOU'RE at it. You misspelled YOU'RE, because it's YOU'RE not YOUR.

"Osu!"