• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate or Gym?

Guys, my friend says that going to the gym and weight lifting is much better than going to karate.

Personally, I think that going to karate and learning how to defend yourself on the street is way better than going to a gym. Even though you will be stronger physically and have muscles and an attractive body when going to the gym, what will you do against a mugger on street? You wouldn't know how to use your strength. With karate, you will be stronger mentally and hopefully have a non-quiting spirit, you can also defend yourself. But, the best thing is doing karate AND going to the gym.

What do you think on this subject matter? :-?

"Osu!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You nailed it by saying that both is the best thing.

Karate won't do you much good if you are weak. It will teach you how to maximize the effectiveness of your muscles, but the stronger your muscles are, the stronger your karate will be.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

the problem is that 90% of the karate schools out there wont teach you realistic self defense..and simply advertise that they do...false confidence is a dangerous thing...

Personally, while I agree that ideally combining karate and the gym is better, I also believe that when it comes to physical fitness, people should find something they enjoy, and stick to it!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I think it all depends on what you're looking for, and how you train karate. If you train extremely rigorously in Karate, then adding a weight workout on top of it may quickly lead you to overtraining and burning-out. If you think you have sufficient sleep and energy to do both, then by all means, do both. But if you do both and overwork your body, both will sufer. I used to do a lot of TKD and a lot of weightlifting, but I found that I stopped making much progress in either, so I cut back on the weightlifting and I started progressing again. You've just gotta find your own perfect combination.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

Karate sucks, go to the gym!

I wouldent make a blanket statment like that, Kyokushin Karate competes at the Top levels of K-1 and has competed with Muay Thai pretty closely in the past...the problem is like i said 90% of the schools out there do not train like that.

Ask yourself: "what do I want from Karate?" If it's just some workout and nothing more, go to the gym instead. Whatever makes you happy. Everybody wants different things from life. It's best to look after your interests, not others :karate:

If you chose Karate, then put all you can into it. The results would be really good. And some gym work, if not to tiresome, can be added.

Karate sucks, go to the gym!

Please read the FAQ and try to obey the rules in here. This is styke bashing and it's not quite welcome in Karate Forums. Saying Karate sucks is a very serious thing and you have to prove your are right, although such a reckless post can't be based on some true proof.

I hope our mods would do something in this regard. It's kinda annoying having to deal with members who throw dirt on styles just for the sake of posting.

Thank you