• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone else a sucker for frayed black (white) belts?

karate_woman

I'm not starting a flame war here, but as a blue belt, with a faded look, are you gonna put me down? I've been a blue belt for almost 7 months now (prolly be 10 months before I test for brown in my new school). I didn't purposely "fade" my belt with bleach. It is just plain hard work.

I agree that if a belt looks really bad, replace it. But I don't wear a stinky old yellow dobohk/gi, but my belt is faded .... so???? It's not to the point of "fraying" yet. It doesn't stink, and it shows my hard work. I don't have a problem with that.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how belt quality factors into it? I have a few belts I know I wore for a while (and worked and sweated in), and they look dirty and don't smell the greatest up close, but the color hasn't faded at all, and there's no fraying except maybe some things coming loose on the ends. Maybe some belts fall apart faster than others? I don't know. Repeated trips through a washing machine would do a number on a belt too I would think (for those who wash them).

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

I'm with AndrewGreen on this. I hate wearing some worn equipment. I always keep my gi clean and my belt is like a new one. After a hard training I end up looking messed up, but when I enter the dojo I like to be clean from head to toes (including the belt.) I've seen 7th dans with a perfect new belt, and nidans with a frayed one, and in the last case I always feel the urge of giving the guy a new one. Perhaps he can't afford one :D

Frayed belts and dirty ones, unwashed becasue of a "tradition" give me a sense of pity towards the ones who have them.

As for experience. i show it by my technique, my muscular body, by attitude and so on. I don't need a rag tied on my waist to be respected :karate:

That's my opinion. Of course everyone can think the way they wish.

And in the end all that matters is to work hard. :)

A worn belt shows years of hard work.

But that means nothing unless it is coupled with real skill.

A worn belt alone is a dirty rag. Put it on a karateka who is superb and it shows years of edication and skill.

My karate instructors go for the worn out belt look.

One of them suits is. You can still see that the belt is black, yet worn, but the other one has a belt that's almost totally white and he just looks like a mucky white belt.

I must admit, I'm of the romantic type that thinks the symbolism of the belt returning to white is a cool idea, but if I ever get to black belt, I'll probably throw out my belt if it is wearing. I'll probably keep it for quite a while worn (basically 'cause I'm one of these folk who hate change and don't like to throw out old things with lots of memories attached to them), but I wont let it go completely white before I invest in a new one.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

that is totally cool karatekid but if someone purposly frays or bleaches a belt i think it is well, weird. why would someone want to make it look like they have worked harder and longer than they really have?

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

The frayed, ratty belt thing seems to be an American/Canadian thing. You dont see Japanese or Okinawan instructors with stringy, smelly, grey strips of cloth around their waists.

My belt finally died. I'm on BB #3 now. I've had a Bear Brand (11 yrs.), Shureido (7 yrs.), and now a Meijin. Hopefully this one lasts longer! :)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

When I attain a black belt, I'm gonna get the cheap $7 black belt. I will purchase another cheap $7 black belt as soon as it's necessary.

I have to admit that I try to wear my belts out a bit when I get them, because they are fairly stiff and the knot doesn't stay together. It also drives me crazy when the ends are holding themselves up.

My belt is starting to gray a little, but when it frays, I tend to fix it. The whole white-->black-->white thing is bollocks in my opinion.

Some people wear it like a badge of honor, and I guess that is fine. I'd rather my performance make statements about my training than my belt :)

Would you let your sword dull or your bo splinter?

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.