• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone else a sucker for frayed black (white) belts?

karate_woman

I know that black belts can be prematurely "aged" with sandpaper, etc, and the silk ones age earlier than the others, but I can't help looking at other black belts with worn, frayed looking black belts (that are turning white), and think back to the lessons about how the original belts were white, turned black with age, and then back to white again.......and go WOW!

I'm just a sucker for it I guess. I wouldn't dream of prematurely stressing my belt; when it ages and turns white it will be because I've worn it for ages and ages...it is cotton and not silk and it will take quite a while. :)

Anyone else a sucker for it?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My belt looks white (almost), and I'm a blue belt LOL. Yes, I agree. It does show exerience for BB's to have a faded belt. My instructor's is faded and frayed a bit. I think it looks kinda cool. But when some people purposely fade and fray their belts without having it very long is just plain wrong.

Laurie F

I think it is disguisting, buy a new belt. Would you continue wearing something in that conition to work because "it shows experience"?

An old belt is a sign of someone who needs to buy a new belt, thats it.

Although some have turned it into a strange ego thing.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I think there is a point where you're right; the belt has got to be retired, but for me it would be a symbol of my hard work and effort and it would be hard to let go...if mine ever gets that way (and it will be quite a while longer for it to do that the way it seems to be wearing so far), I'll probably put it in a place where I can see it and remind myself of the hard work I did to get it to that point.

I think I admire it so much because the Senseis I've had that had their belts wear like that wore the belt minimum 6 days a week, more often 7, because they also had a dojo in their home; in their case it wore like that because they really did work that hard, and they deserved my admiration. I remember they periodically got new belts, too - after the belt wasn't recognizable as a black belt anymore.

-Lao-Tse

How does a belt show hard work?

It will wear out if you do nothing but stand and bark orders everyday.

Would you continue to wear an old uniform with rips and yellow pits? That would show hard work.

I just don't get it, what proves hard work is stepping onto the mat and going at it, not some old smelly worn out belt. It is a symbol of experience, but a false one, and a rather disgusting one.

Also what message to you think it sends to potential members, ones who haven't had this strange custom taught to them? A worn out belt certainely doesn't look very professional, it looks like a worn out belt.

What would you think about a sales man with a worn out tie? Experienced? Slob? Poverty?

Andrew Green

I know that black belts can be prematurely "aged" with sandpaper, etc, and the silk ones age earlier than the others, but I can't help looking at other black belts with worn, frayed looking black belts (that are turning white), and think back to the lessons about how the original belts were white, turned black with age, and then back to white again.......and go WOW!

I'm just a sucker for it I guess. I wouldn't dream of prematurely stressing my belt; when it ages and turns white it will be because I've worn it for ages and ages...it is cotton and not silk and it will take quite a while.

Anyone else a sucker for it?

Belts turning black is a myth. A white belt may turn tan or MAYBE brown but never black. It is a good story but not true at all.

No, I don't keep wearing my old worn out gis. I agree with you, and have observed that pictures several highly ranked, highly respected karateka (7th Dan, 9th Dan) DON'T show a ratty old belt. I still can't shake the notion, even though I have heard many people artificially stress their belts. I think it all goes back to the legend of how the belt system started, white to black, black to white....it is really ingrained in me.

It is sad that people prematurely age their belts, but I guess they do it because saps like me have the romantic notion it represents hard work (as I've seen it does in some cases).

In my case, I feel the frayed look of the black belt would show my hard work because I won't have prematurely aged it, and I'll know it has frayed simply because I've been wearing it. It is true I don't have to work out to wear it in, but I'll know how it got that way, and that's what matters to me:D

I won't let it get too far gone before replacing it, though...it is my first black belt, and I don't want to completely wear it out; I am just looking forward to wearing out my black belt naturally after I have had it a few more years. Also, my black belt doesn't even have my correct surname on it anymore....eventually it would be nice to update it! Fortunately it is in japanese, so most people can't tell my name is wrong ;)

-Lao-Tse

I am just looking forward to wearing out my black belt naturally after I have had it a few more years.

This sort of quote just seems so strange to me....

Do it with any other type of property.

I am just looking forward to wearing out my new car naturally after I have had it a few more years.

I am just looking forward to wearing out my Golf Clubs naturally after I have had it a few more years.

I am just looking forward to wearing out my bed naturally after I have had it a few more years.

Why?

Then you have to but a new one.

I'd want a belt that doesn't wear out, one that looks new no matter what happens to it.

I look forward to things in the martial arts, but never wearing out a good piece of equipment...

Andrew Green

Simply because it IS a belt, and I know it will wear out, as they all do, when worn. I look forward to wearing it out because of all the training I know I'll be doing in the interim to wear it out (it isn't silk or satin, so it will take quite a while).

When I first got my belt, it was stiff, and creased where it had been folded. Now it hangs more naturally after I tie it and isn't as stiff, even though that is the nature of it, I still think it is neat.

Now wearing out a new bed...that is fun too! ;)

-Lao-Tse