• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whoa that's bad.

BKJ1216

I've been going to watch classes at my dojo pretty frequently. I went on friday at 8:00 to watch some sparring. Durnign one of the matches one of the poeple tried to kick the person but they blocked it the wrong way and broke the forearm. It was really bad too I saw it when she was walking out and the bone was bulging out of the flesh.

Notice that you said she blocked the kick the wrong way. Most accidents that occur in the dojo are as a result of incorrect technique.

Makes you take a second thought about wether or not you really want to get started doesn't it? You would be strange if you didn't have a second thought after seeing that. I remember another one of your threads were you wanted to know about what kind of gear you would need to spar full contact with one of your friends. This incident may help you see why people were advising you to wait a bit to try that.

There should be a process to sparring enabling students to learn control. An important part of training for students as they progress in rank is do help a junior student do things like learn to spar. By sparring with them making sure contact is controlled and that they limit the techniques they use on them to ones that the juniour student has been taught.

There have been studies done about the incidence of injuries in the martial arts. Actual martial arts rank fairly low in the incindence of injuries as compared to other sports.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going to watch classes at my dojo pretty frequently. I went on friday at 8:00 to watch some sparring. Durnign one of the matches one of the poeple tried to kick the person but they blocked it the wrong way and broke the forearm. It was really bad too I saw it when she was walking out and the bone was bulging out of the flesh.

Just wondering does this happen often at your dojos? People breaking limbs?

The only injuries I have seen in my dojo is the blocking a front kick with an elbow to the ankle joint. While sparring TKD fellow I did a down block onto his shin and fractured it. If he conditioned his shins he would have been ok.

Sounds like the people at that dojo were sparring past the level of their abilities.

youve gotta remember that by blocking the wrong way it also puts your limbs at risk.

it also depends on how healthy the person was blocking the punch and their diet.. everyone knows bout the brittleness of bones through different factors

The moon shines on

The waters not present

In an undug well

Yields forth a man

With neither shadow nor form

It is a risk you take as accidents do happen. It isn't very often but I once saw someone dislocate his hip. It was his own fault but still not a fun sight.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I'm not sure if it's full contact I mean they hit eachother put they call a point after each hit and the first to two wins.

that would be point sparring that means if you touch me with a back fist before my elbows hits you in the jaw you get the win...

Umn but woudln't the elbow still follow through?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Re:that would be point sparring that means if you touch me with a back fist before my elbows hits you in the jaw you get the win...

Elbows aren't legal techniques in point sparring. http://www.krane.org/rules/Sport%20Karate%20Point%20Sparring%20Rules.htm. See also http://www.wkf.net/ for the international rules (which will be followed for Olympic Karate next Olympics).

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse