• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whoa that's bad.

BKJ1216

I've been going to watch classes at my dojo pretty frequently. I went on friday at 8:00 to watch some sparring. Durnign one of the matches one of the poeple tried to kick the person but they blocked it the wrong way and broke the forearm. It was really bad too I saw it when she was walking out and the bone was bulging out of the flesh.

Just wondering does this happen often at your dojos? People breaking limbs?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Risk is inherent in any activity you choose. I have seen alot of broken bones, blown out knees, etc. over the years...and have even experienced a few myself, but....it seems to me that there may be a certain lack of control when someone breaks a forearm blocking a kick in a sparring class. Most injuries tend to occur during regular classes when people are learning and practicing new techniqes, not during a sparring match where skill level is matched with skill level. Lower belt levels should not be sparring full contact, black belts should have the control to deal with a less skilled student. JMO :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'm not sure if it's full contact I mean they hit eachother put they call a point after each hit and the first to two wins.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I'm not sure if it's full contact I mean they hit eachother put they call a point after each hit and the first to two wins.

that would be point sparring that means if you touch me with a back fist before my elbows hits you in the jaw you get the win...

Contact that breaks bones is full contact. Now the question is..were they instructed to go full contact or was there lack of control either by the participants or the instructor running the class or both?

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I seen a few recently, but it wasn't during sparring. A lady in my new school broke her foot. She landed wrong after doing a jump ax kick. Another one I saw was during a BB test at my boyfriend's dojang. A friend of ours broke his hand during breaking. He broke three boards (no spacers), with a knife hand, and also broke his hand. That was about 6 months ago for him, though.

Laurie F

I've not been in my club for too long (only about 9 months or something) but I've not seen too many injuries.

For some reason our club seems to always be injuring fingers though. In the last few months we've had a woman almost break a finger, a girl broke her finger and so did a boy and the other night our Sensei cut his finger open but I'm not sure how it happened. I'm sure I heard him say that someone bit it, but I think I must have not been hearing things right. :-?

Apart from those I'm not aware of too many injuries. One guy in the club keeps breaking his ribs, though.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

When some bones break in a point sparring match, there's obviusly some lack of control. Like someone here said ... i think serious sparring should be done only after some months of working up in the dojo. Beginners tend to get nervous and punch/kick uncontrolled. They should get the basics and only then go to the "battle".

Ouchhhhhhh.

Never happened in our dojo. Only some bloody lips or a black eye.