• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

White Belt: Learning How to Learn

Well written article. Kudos.

However, although your article is generally reasonable for the general populas, I don't necessarily feel the importance of all of the things mentioned in your article - this is not to say that they won't learn these things in time however...

I feel it is important for the White Belt to properly learn the basic foundation of techniques. However, to "learn how to learn" comes with time far beyond the white belt stage of learning - and probably well into the green belt stage... What I feel is most important for the white belt stage is to learn the "inside feeling" of the art. This is an area that is rarely taught in martial arts, and yet is the most critical part of development in a martial artist. The "outside feeling" of the art is pretty much meaningless to a white belt as this stage of learning and will not retain its understanding for levels to come - this includes the specific hand movements, leg movements, posture, uniforms, traditions, etc... A student won't properly understand, and will not do correctly, the outside movements until they fully develop the inside feelings or movements of the art. Therefore, this is the most criticle and most important development of a white belt.

You can't demand one to learn! They have to feel what they are learning is correct - then the learning process and development is far excellerated and enjoyed as well.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with a lot that you said, KM.

Please remember that I used the term "white belt" very loosely. I meant for it to cover the whole "beginner" stage as a martial artist, basically the first 6 months to a year of training...even though in my school, we only spent a month as white belts! I'm sorry if this has caused any confusion for anyone...it seemed nifty at the time. Also, I do know a few people who have spent nearly a year as white belts.

I do think that the "inside feelings" (if my understanding of the term is correct, that is) are more important than the "outside feelings", but I think that those "outside feelings" should begin to be taught at "white belt" level. The "outside" is very complex and will probably take years to master, but that's why they should get an early start. Some "outside feelings" take priority over others, and those are the ones that white belts should learn. This is also why I think white belts shouldn't have a lot of complicated techniques (when you spread this across a whole year, though, this will still be a respectable amount of techniques.

As far as techniques "feeling" right for the student, but BEING wrong, I'm talking about things like limp wrists, loose fists, and incorrect foot positioning on kicks. If the student were to use these in sparring, he would damage himself...and yes, I have dealt with students who thought this was "proper" form, although I don't know where they got that idea from. Sometimes they do it without knowing, sometimes they do it on purpose.

I also agree that you can't demand for someone to learn...there has to be cooperation between student and instructor, and the student has to be willing to learn. I often assume that students are willing to learn, because why else would they be there? Then again, some kids seem to be there only because their parents are forcing them.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I'm not saying not to teach the outside feelings/concepts - but do it lightly. Until they learn the inside feelings, they will never comprehend the outside movements/feelings - therefore a little bit of a wasted effort at white belt levels. Example:

Outside feelings - loose wrist, knees not bent properly, improper center of gravity, poor technique timing, etc...

Inside feelings - Visualization of technique application, breathing and breathing timing, contraction and relaxation via breathing, movement drills via proper breathing, philosophy of the art in regard to the inside feelings, etc...

In a nut shell, development of the outside concepts become a piece of cake to learn naturally when fully understanding/developing the inside feelings/concepts.

So with this in mind, this is my basis of importance as a white belt and not the outside movements. You still have to teach the outside movements just for them to learn them. But not the focus and they never truly learn them until after the inside feelings are understood.

- Killer Miller -

I do think that the "inside feelings" (if my understanding of the term is correct, that is) are more important than the "outside feelings", but I think that those "outside feelings" should begin to be taught at "white belt" level. The "outside" is very complex and will probably take years to master, but that's why they should get an early start. Some "outside feelings" take priority over others, and those are the ones that white belts should learn. This is also why I think white belts shouldn't have a lot of complicated techniques (when you spread this across a whole year, though, this will still be a respectable amount of techniques.

As far as techniques "feeling" right for the student, but BEING wrong, I'm talking about things like limp wrists, loose fists, and incorrect foot positioning on kicks. If the student were to use these in sparring, he would damage himself...and yes, I have dealt with students who thought this was "proper" form, although I don't know where they got that idea from. Sometimes they do it without knowing, sometimes they do it on purpose.

I also agree that you can't demand for someone to learn...there has to be cooperation between student and instructor, and the student has to be willing to learn. I often assume that students are willing to learn, because why else would they be there? Then again, some kids seem to be there only because their parents are forcing them.

Mizu No Kokoro

So with this in mind, this is my basis of importance as a white belt and not the outside movements. You still have to teach the outside movements just for them to learn them. But not the focus and they never truly learn them until after the inside feelings are understood.

- Killer Miller -

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing but in different words. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Breathing and capturing the inside techniques as opposted to the outside is very difficult for white belts to learn. Best you can do is get them motivated to be more assertive and to focus and push there techniques more. They need solid basics. What Monkey girl was talking about was right on the money as far as proper chambering for kicks and lignment of the wrists.

All though I agree with your statement that briething is important. Not a main focus at white belt stage. Until that white belt has enough reps of movement in it will be difficult for them to concertrate breath cordination with the movement. Even simple movements are complex for example even a simple in ward block is complex. It starts off simple maybe to a white belt. But when the instucter explains proper angling, body alignment at to the particular block that is done. Proper hand or arm place ment and weight transfer. Then it becomes more complex. To add more details of breath and other such should be placed at a higher level. Even Tai Chi instructers know that which is an internal art. They know there students need to learn the basic forms patterns first. If they throw the breath in withthe movement early one. It distrupts the Chi pattern and they person can get sick. According to one instructer I had a conversation with about this same subject. plus it takes them longer to learn and the movements are sloppy because there mind is on mutliple things. Learn little by little. Adding here and there is a better process in my opinion.

Monkey girl is right. for traditional Martial arts. The students needs to learn proper dojo/dojang ettiquete, and some simple basic techniques drilled into them so they can start with a good foundation.

No offense other then the breath aspect you sound rather vague on your defintion of what you mean by "internal" No disrespect but it would be nice if you expound on that subject in more detail on your defintion or exmaples of crutial interal methods that are first more vital for white belts to learn? As well as why your reasoning for that?

because from what I read about breathing and internal technique and visualation. They aren't ready for that. You do have a point that they are important things to learn though. But from my experience the need proper basic physical techniques. A good foundation. The internal at there level would be the dojo ettiqute as monkey girl stated.

For example about the visulation. that is good but intial teaching NO! they need good foundation of basics of how to do a punch properly. Proper fist alightment and knockles to hit and several reps at them. later on they hit a pad thats when they need visulation or moativation to be more assertive to hit with more force in the object. Quick way to teach them if there wrist is wrong. Because it hurts if it isn't aligned right. Then that gives them proper power hitting. Nothing like hitting a bad to teach you.

But to focus on a person right off the bat to visualite to hit. No they need to focus on there body proper alignement. Well... I take that back You do have apoint on that one. They go hand in had. If the person isn'tt asertive his movement doesn't go as well. But again I stress white belts need proper physical basics first.

-Jeff

I don't think you get the point Jeff.

See if you can understand this example.

I always start any beginner off, and I mean the very first thing, on how to properly Kiai... What kiai really is, what is a correct kiai, how breathing relates to kiai, and how breathing relates to body movements. Then I go into body movements with the total focus on proper breathing - typically 10 times slow, and 10 times as fast as they can go, or quantities in that relationship, to write these body actions correctly into their sub-conscious correctly... This would typically be front stances, straddle legs stances, punch, lunge punch, etc.

I would also introduce their first heian kata. And although this has more complex body movements, such as knife hand techniques, back stance, etc., I might demonstrate the straight wrist posture, but not to make a big deal about it. Why is this??? Because with the focus of the "inside feeling" of correct breathing applications, and visulations of correct applications, and finally minor drills to apply the breathing/visual applications to the technique, you will find that they will naturally do a correct Knife-hand or back stance in the process.

Too many schools focus on talking and not doing/focusing on what's important. Their focus is typically on the outside improvements and not the inside. So the longer you put off the "inside" development, the longer the "outside" develops incorrectly (outside = "telling" them they must keep their hand straight and "telling" them being the primary focus of your training session). Thus, bad habits develop that are hard to break. I have visited a lot of schools in my day, of my art and not of my art, and rarely do I see any of these schools teach the "inside" concepts. They commonly do poorly in tournaments, poorly in testing, center of gravity is very poor in their techniques (their butts typicall stick out), and many times just look totally pathetic overall...

Monkey Girl might think we are talking about the same thing, but not really. In martial arts, it not so much as to what you are taught, but how and when you art taught what you are taught...! We are talking about the "art of perfection." In order to be taught the art of perfection, you must learn/train in a maner that is consistent with these concepts. The art of perfection has to be written into the sub-conscious mind to be effective. The only way you can write such concepts into the sub-conscious is to physically do it correctly from the start! This always starts from the "inside!"

A final point. Some may not have liked my classes and thought to be too hard to learn, or just too hard physically. I didn't care, and I use to welcome new-combers to try other schools if they wished to. I taught "art of perfection" for the art, not for money! If someone wanted to learn it, I would teach it to them. If not, they were welcome to go elsewhere - no offense would be taken (although many times they would return). I do not waste my time on those whom do not have the desire to do so. You can not force a person to learn the art - if they don't want to, they have no purpose in my classes. Those that do, I give them my all...

Note: This doesn't mean that I was rude or disrespectful about it, just firm on my priorities of the classes.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

No disrespect taken in your post KM.

Okay I understand what your talking about. What you mean by visualization. As far as visualzing an appoenent. As for breathing and Kia'ing

I don't see how that effects the physical techniques as far as there correct application of posture not persay the intensity. But hey each instructer has his/hers own methods of teaching.

-Jeff

It effects physical techniques because with proper breathing you get proper muscle contraction, with proper muscle contraction, the wrist(s), etc., are naturally straight. With proper breathing, relaxation and contraction, in relation to a given body movement (breathing timing), muscles contract and relax properly and in the right timing. This naturally controls stances, center of body when moving, bends knees properly, and controls the speed and control of techniques. The visualization of technique application, applies the above to real life situations so the natural intensity and speed of techniques are applied throughout development - which will be achieved naturally with proper breathing and breathing timing.

So yes, this development does seriously affect "all" of your development of the arts. The quicker you develop/understand these concepts/techniques, the quicker you learn and understand martial arts in general. It is the Heart and Life Blood of "All" martial arts...

- Killer Miller -

I don't see how that effects the physical techniques as far as there correct application of posture not persay the intensity. But hey each instructer has his/hers own methods of teaching.

-Jeff

Mizu No Kokoro

The way I teach beginners has to do with age, for me. Sometimes, small children have to be taught the "outward techniques" as you call them (great name by the way, really)The same can go with older adults. If the person is not ready to really learn the inner workings of the movements, I feel they may learn that later. If they are ready at that stage, i teach them what i know. However, I am still learning a great deal, so its hard for me to teach like my Instructors. lol

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

good stragey Karateka. Most kids aren't ready for that type of training.

I see what you mean KM. I know the importance of breathing. Maybe I am misinterpreting the message in your post. But seems like your stating that with the breathing that the techniques will naturally fall into place. No I don't think you mean that. You still have to make corrections and expose them to intricies (sp?) of the details in the technique. Such as a straight wrist.

Although I do agree with you on the intial point of having them imagine there oppenent and to have that ingrained so they motivate them selves to be more determined or deciating there techniques.

Now is the breathings your talking about in the form of the KIA say on the end of a punch? I want to pick your brain more on this subject to get a better understanding of what your talking about as far as breathing and timing it with the technique. I know breathing drills I know ideas of timing it to go with the movement I been taught several theries on it. Such as breating out on the strike and in haling on the return of the strike same with block also opposide inhaling on the throw of the stirke. Also been taught to breath normal. Just keep the air moving and on impact for a spit second to stop the breath and just breath normally as quick as it is stoped.

But what are your ideas?

-Jeff