• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

okinawan karate secret - double bone block

larryjf

I didn't read all of the posts because i am half in the bag right now (that means I'm Half Drunk to the unintitiated and underaged, c'mon it 2 am on a friday night and i just got home). Just keep this in mind.

But in my dojo we are taught blocks in the begining and later we are taught that that blocks are actually strikes.

So, yes it remains true - there are no initial offensive strikes in (my style of) kenpo - on the flip side of the same coin - even our defense is offense. ponder that.

The single bone block concentrates force to a smaller surface area (one Bone) - hence can inflict much more damage than a double bone block which would absorb more force (two bones).

Now, I ask would you actually ever try and block a kick with your arm? The leg is much more powerful and resilient then the arm - ask anyone who has tried to block a kick with their arm. I did that in a slow strike drill and my sensei explined that the shin kick would have shattered my arm. anyway before i start rambling (probably too late) this is my point:

Do not waste your time blocking kicks with your arms - you arm will always give before someones leg. And if you throw a punch you are throwing it straight (even a hook or round house is straight compared to an outside block) and the block is coming from a perpendicular angle - there is not much reason to absord - more of a reason to strike - and the more focused the power the more devastaing the blow.

With That, I bid you all Goood Night!

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

then how the hell would one block a round kick heading towards one's head at a really high speed?

I blocked a round kick heading for my ribs with a bent elbow the other day my elbow hit the instep and damaged the other persons foot (i learnt this from it happening to me)

Cut the distance. Step into the kicker (Not the kick). Or the exact opposite step out (away from the kicker).

If the kick is so fast that you cannot step into the kicker your not gonna get your arm in time either.

And blocking with your elbow is not blocking with your forearm and/or wrist.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

It's no secret.

I was told by a very high ranking individual from Okinawa that the single bone block is basically a misunderstanding. The block is with the muscle part (2 bone) and rotates over on the follow through to the single bone block position. But contact is made with the two bone position. The impression I got was that this was pretty much common knowledge over thier.

And of course Isshin ryu does the 2 bone block (without the follow through to single bone position) and that is where my karate training is from.

I don't really care for the "traditional" method of blocking though, and don't teach it outside of kata. The motion may be useful to practice, but applying it as a block doesn't work very well in my experience.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!