• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

okinawan karate secret - double bone block

larryjf

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Never had trouble with the single bone block. I have (accidently) broken peoples feet with it. The double bone block seems to lack power, since it is executed much like a back fist. the Single block is more like a hammerfist which is significantly more powerful than a backfst.

one more thing, the Karate outside bock is crap. Noone uses that outside of kyu kumite. My oustside block is the shuto block.

Interesting. I'd have to play with it before I adopt or give an opinion. Just thinking about it I can see advantages and disadvantages. For exampe, I don't think it is mechanically stronger, as the author said. In act, it is weaker. But that weaker, yielding block taken on a double bone structure could prevent injury. Good one to toy with in a slow training session. Thanks for the link.

pang, the outside block is crap if done in a crappy manner. But I've used it in a variety of situations and for numerous reasons, and it worked well. I've even been known to use it as an entry move to check the opponents arm against his chest, or to position and gain cntrol. It is a designed block that works well. But to each his own.

omni, maybe you could give some other pointrs on the use of the double bone block. What do you think about its strengths, weakneses, usefulness?

Freedom isn't free!

Interesting. I'd have to play with it before I adopt or give an opinion. Just thinking about it I can see advantages and disadvantages. For exampe, I don't think it is mechanically stronger, as the author said. In act, it is weaker. But that weaker, yielding block taken on a double bone structure could prevent injury. Good one to toy with in a slow training session. Thanks for the link.

pang, the outside block is crap if done in a crappy manner. But I've used it in a variety of situations and for numerous reasons, and it worked well. I've even been known to use it as an entry move to check the opponents arm against his chest, or to position and gain cntrol. It is a designed block that works well. But to each his own.

omni, maybe you could give some other pointrs on the use of the double bone block. What do you think about its strengths, weakneses, usefulness?

I believe that the outside block is an arcahic(ms) move. It is slow ineffective and leaves one open to joint manipulation. I use the boxing block that sorta lools like the outside block except that i turn my whole body. The Shuto block is far better.

Intresting

I agree that the hammer first is more powerful and safer than the backfist. Thus you would think that would be a safer action.

The outer bone of the forarm is pretty strong. and the skin is usually pretty tough from always being in contact with anything from talbes and other things we rest our arms on. So I don't see any great danger in blocking with the outside of the arm. (hammer fist motion)

The article made commetns about baseball bats and MT kicks. Well No one should ever block a bat with their arm. LOL. I mean come on karate is great but your not superman. Trapping and Distancing is more the things you need to learn when facing a swinging weapon. As far at MT kicks or any powerful kick anyone who knows anything about MA will never teach you to block a kick with arm (force on force) Legs will always win no matter how big a person is. Again trapping and the use of leg blocks are the way to block kicks.

As far as the outside block motion I agree that it is a useless block and I too teach the Knife Hand before I teach it. In fact I only teach it because it is in certin kata. When I work sparring I do teach the backfist as the outside block or again the use of a knife hand.

Only other change I do with my down block is to use an open hand. Meaning I block with the palm and the bottom of the forarm. This allows you to grab and makes the block more of a smack on your part and less painful. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

unless i've read wrong

we already do this

and block with fleshy parts

I tend to block with the palm as well it allows me to grab legs that don't return fast enough.

I also like to do gedan burai that sorta converts to uchi uke and traps the leg (and if i turned would break the leg)

unfortunately i find blocking legs really fucking hurts my arms but they can take it, they just get really big bruises on them - i tend to just try and step outside of legs.

I don't think inside - outside blocks are uselss like the outside hooking block (uchi uke) is really good for getting your opponent off centre, knife hand block much the same

uchi uke is definately slower than doing a short version of soto uke but if your guard is far enough away from your body you don't need to make that much of a movement to redirect the path of an incoming punch