• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

blocking a haymaker punch (John Wayne Punch)

yeah, Synaesthesia, i see what you're saying. i kind of have a "defeat without an all out fight" philosophy, and in my experience, my tactic is usually enough to intimidate someone out of a fight. we don't get many attackers in WI, but we do get quite a few brawlers. i guess it all depends on what you find practical.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The haymaker is probably the easyist punch to block since it is very slow and obvious to spot,an application to the very first move of the kata "Heian Needan" is a defence to a haymaker, a simoultanious block and strike to the head.

sometimes the haymaker dosent even need to be blocked, if your fast enough you can hit them in the face before theyve come close to hiting you with it, the haymaker is really a very poor technique but is extremely common on the streets so its good to practice defences against it.

Shotokan Karate - brown belt 2nd kyu

Judo - Yellow belt

Jujustu - recently started, white belt

I wouldn't be so quick to bash the haymaker. It's slow, but packs a wallop if you can land it. Combined with a distraction of some kind or other way to create an opening it can be effective.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

distraction?

that's a rather dumb thing to say.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

This is to answer the original question of the post. Why block it? Duck it, move in or to the outside and destroy. Of course it really depends on the situation, but the we won't go into that.

Kylesan if you can avoid it, never turn your back to someone. Not good.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

distraction?

Yea, I'll tell you about them right after you tie your shoes ;)

This is to answer the original question of the post. Why block it? Duck it, move in or to the outside and destroy.

Considering the range that a haymaker works at, I don't think moving outside it would be generally practical. Again considering range, ducking puts your face next to their knee and the back of your head well within reach. It works great against hooks in boxing, because legs and attacks to the back of the head are not allowed. It's not too bad agaisnt jabs because of the range. But I would not opt for it in close.

distraction?

that's a rather dumb thing to say.

Well, some moves are meant purely for distraction.. a jab in boxing, for instance, is primarily used to distract the other person to set up another punch. You feint with a move to get that person to attempt a block/parry/dodge and then attack with a completely different move.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

What I meant was ducking and moving to the outside simultaneously, so that you end up on the outside of the striking arm. If you are on the inside at least you're close enough to tie them up. Usually if you duck the punch and strike at the same time to the stomach or groin or strike downward to the hip this can only be an advantage, as long as you know how to use it.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"