• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

blocking a haymaker punch (John Wayne Punch)

ach; you have a good point.but that's true of anything, really. one could ask "what's the best way to score points in basketball?" and the best response would be "to shoot baskets". but you couldn't do that without sufficient training.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocking a punch .... that will work :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have never seen anyone block a punch or use any type of block in a fight.

First off there is no such thing as a block in Karate. If you studied Jutsu you'd understand that. An age uke is a heavy forumn applied to the side of the neck and is used in close-quatre fighting as a knockout. It could also be used to rip off the ears of someone as in the circular motion of the block. The infamous Gedan Barai is in it simplest form a strike to the groin, etc.

... When I took Karate blocks we first did a few straight punches, then some kicks, then about three types of punch blocks. I am quite confident that punches can be blocked as I have done it numerous times. Generally speaking you can work a counterattack into the block.

However, like they said in that movie, "the Karate Kid," "best block is no block." Dodging the haymaker is probrably the best solution. This could be combined with an attack of some sort if you are sufficiently skilled to do so, but as mentioned earlier, the capacity to counterattack while dodging the haymaker implies that you are more skilled than the opponent, which may well not be the case. Usually a skilled opponent would not use a haymaker but that is not to say that it would not happen. If you can land a good square one to the target's head it's almost a sure knockout, or at least enough to stun the person for several seconds.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

You cant block a punch ?

True its better to dodge a punch then block but really ive had people try and throw punches at me just cover up they will hit your forearms or your forehead. Unless you dont consider that blocking.

yeah that would work then when you do that, finish then with a reverse punch right into the solor pluex.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

instead step out side the punch, direct it inward, and run away. ... make love, not war :nod:

Well if I was a super-master yea, I'd do it. In a real fight in which I wasn't lucky enough to get the first punch off, it would probably mean that I'm not GOOD enough to get the first punch off. That means I'm not skilled enough to do the Kung-fu movie thing where the super master defeats people without striking them.

it's not as hard as it sounds if you practice your foot work, and hay makers are blatantly obvious and you can see them coming probably before your attacker can

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

they are very easy to see coming. Id just step back rising block and drill him with a reverse punch.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

battousai16,

I've practiced it, though not against really serious punches, and I'm aware that it can be redirected or blocked if you're on top of things. (Although if you get some adrenaline induced tunnel vision, those babies can really hit you out of nowhere)

What I would question, given my own level of skill, is whether I can really engage an attacker without hitting them and then get away. I would either just move to the side and away with at most a check of any blows coming in or actually try to attack the person. I'm not going to be redirecting his power when I could be moving away instead.

Do you sort of understand where I'm coming from? I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I probably lack the aptitute for that sort of tactic.

Its possible to block punches, just hard. Best to use a fence to maintain distance and give yourself a bit of warning.

I personally liuke two methods, one for each martial art I pratice.

Karate: Step to the side with my right leg (this is from the view that I'm in a left sided shizentai and he punching with his right so it comes from my left)

while rising my left harm in a shuto-uke/soto uke hybrid. That is my hand comes from the inside out but arcs down and forwards to cut into their arm and driect it downwards at the elbow/bicep or forearm. Kind of a sharp diagonal and forwards wax on block. Then couter with a hard right gyaku tsuki to the jaw line with full hip, shooulder and foot twist. Lights out!

Second: Jiu-jitsu. Step forwards and to your right while raisng bothe arms to block. Left hand (now back hand) perfroming same actiion as above but angles tighetr to cover jaw and adapt for your step. Rigfht hand (now front hand) Stikes shuto to the bicep or my favourite, the carotid artery. Then follow with left gyaku tsuki, or shift grip for hip thows (tsuri komi goshi), grab shoulder for tai otoshi, or seize hair left elbow smash (ala naihanchi kata) into kosoto gaki or harai goshi.

Maybe one day I'll have a blend of both to tell you about.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.