• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

blocking a haymaker punch (John Wayne Punch)

how do you guy or what do you guys do when someone does a haymaker punch the street fighter punch beacuse in a real fight no one is going to do a step through punch (karate punch) so in our dojo we pratice with both types of punching

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haymakers have heaps of blocks to them

jodan age uke, kake uke, uchi uke, soto uke, shuto uke (i can't remember if this is the right name for the knife hand block)

if you do an uchi uke you can apply an armlock and smash the other person into a wall as well if you like

jiu jutsu has some nice blocks versus the haymaker that end with the other person on the ground with their shoulder locked

I'd say about 90% of real fights i've seen have involved the good old Haymaker. Suprisingly most martial arts (mine included) don't involve it that heavily in they're self defence.

I would personnally forget knifehand/forearm blocks and use my inpenetrable guard :wink: . I'd step inside the punch tucking my head right into my shoulder and covering the whole side of my head with my folded arm. The punch is likely to connect with my elbow/arm. Then while in close i'd try and control the attacked with some nasty close range strikes and sweep/take down.

By using a guard, my arms are nice and close to my body and i don't need to judge his punch like i would with a block.

Cover up and get in close!

Bretty

Blocking a punch .... that will work :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have never seen anyone block a punch or use any type of block in a fight.

First off there is no such thing as a block in Karate. If you studied Jutsu you'd understand that. An age uke is a heavy forumn applied to the side of the neck and is used in close-quatre fighting as a knockout. It could also be used to rip off the ears of someone as in the circular motion of the block. The infamous Gedan Barai is in it simplest form a strike to the groin, etc.

A good way to show that there is no such thing as a block and the only people that think there is a block are mis guided japanese pople and there Western folllowers but mainly the Japanese who have no idea how to fight and then teach the westerners how not to fight (blind teaching the blind). Anyway too see how there is no such thing as a block get a great big mother of a steak. Now take this steak down to your local park and get 2 alsations and 2 rockweilers and watch how many times the alsation does "Age Uke!" and the Rockweiler "Gedan Barai!".

If you don't beleive me go walk around the street late at night, gew picked on intimitated and then wait for the person to strike and then block! Well done! You have blocked his punch! Yes but wait a minute he has just planted 10 more punches you were not able to block. Well amybe next time insead of wasting your time blocking them you can hit the c*unt!

yeah but practiced techniques become second nature

so that in a fight rather than me waving my arms around block me waving my arms because more solid. Sure I don't think about it anymore, but my body has imprinted a 'jodan age uke' into my brain (although that's a block I rarely use) I tend to find versus any punch uchi uke is my biggest reaction and that's fine with me if my reaction is to do it with the same arm as them.

I wouldn't worry about blocking such an attack. You wouldn't have to block it. A simple front kick to his jaw, solar plexus, or groin as he's drawing back for the haymaker will do just fine.

MA.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Yes duck, bobbing and weaving to avoid punches is a very valid part of training in boxing. Why should martial artist's not also duck.

When thier punch sails over your head they tend to loose their balance.

they loose their balance no matter what you do if u duck yeah they will loose their balance but even if you block it they will. i know that beacuse i got in a fight and im in shotokan and he tryed the haymaker punch and i blocked it. (steped back while blocking) and reverse punched him right in his rib cage he went down right away. and i left the area. so i say blocking it is fine as long as you know what our doing

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate