• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
yes, it is the same word... bagua = 8 trigrams, baguazhang = 8 trigrams palm

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Bagua Zhang or Pa Kua Chang (all the same) is one of the three internal chinese styles.

Bagua relies heavily on "circle walking", snake-like movements and palm strikes.

It is the opposite to its counter part I Ching, which believes in a straight line as opposed to a circle.

Both styles are very amazing. Make sure your teacher is legit though.

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

i could be wrong here, but i believe you are referring to hsing-i chuan (xingyiquan) as bagua's "counterpart" ; as opposed to the i ching which is a literary text...

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

• 2 weeks later...
Excuse my ignorance but are there Kata in Pa Kua? Are they called by another name in this style? I am obviously new to MA and I appreciate all the replies.

"Nothing is impossible to the willing mind."

there are several forms/kata in bagua, many depend on lineage.

there are the mother palms, linear forms (especially in Yin Fu lineage), animal forms (snake, dragon, sparrow, hawk, bear, unicorn, lion, etc), single palm change, double palm change, etc etc.

Cheng Ting Hua and Sun Lu Tang lineages are going to be more throw-based, as Cheng was a shuai chiao (chinese wrestling) expert, and Yin Fu lineage will be more strike based and linear because he was an expert in lohan gungfu before he learned bagua. there are also other lineages and variations such as Gao...