• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What happened to conditioning?

panginoon

Well, I must say I have some of that kind of conditioning, but not to the extent I think you mean.

For example, I went to a competitive kickboxing class after I already had a black belt in karate and we did a lot of kicking each other in the legs repeatedly in the same spots, up and down the legs. I could tell the guy I was training with was hurting too - and he was on the Canadian team, so he was no newbie. Anyway. I enjoyed it and would have gone back but my family got upset that I was black and blue from my shins all the way to my thighs, both inside and out. Not that karate doesn't give me bruises on my arms and legs too, but I think it was the extent of the bruising that bothered them; my typical sparring bruises last under a week - these lasted well over two weeks.

I think the one thing the experience proved to me is that even though it hurt a bit, I was able to continue and I never asked or indicated for him to be gentler. I was able to take it, and keep coming back for more, which was kind of a neat feeling.

My family was concerned and had other ideas, but anyway.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
In my DoJo we have alot of little kids, like 7-8-9 year olds, and they don't really do any conditioning, but us Higher belts, there is no lack of it :bawling:

Head Kick....

Hi.

I do Kobayashi Shorin Ryu and there is a big emphasis on conditioning. I kick and punch a makiwara every day and also use an iron palm bag (filled with steel shot) and have a pot of rocks I thrust my fingers into every day as well. This did take a significant building up to though. I've only really recently started training my fingers though, to brush up on all those pressure point techniques...

I think its hard for most people to do especially in America because i think it would turn of most people. And they really do want those membership dues...

Mebbe we should take a poll on how many people know what a makiwara is?

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I do Kobayashi Shorin Ryu and there is a big emphasis on conditioning. I kick and punch a makiwara every day and also use an iron palm bag (filled with steel shot) and have a pot of rocks I thrust my fingers into every day as well. This did take a significant building up to though. I've only really recently started training my fingers though, to brush up on all those pressure point techniques...

I think its hard for most people to do especially in America because i think it would turn of most people. And they really do want those membership dues...

Mebbe we should take a poll on how many people know what a makiwara is?

You sorta helped prove my point. You are only conditioning your hands. What about the rest of your body?

Well, I did mention that I condition my feet too...

Anyway, I didn't mention the other stuff at first, but its pretty much every striking surface. Feet, hands, elbows, knees, shins, forearms, etc. To do this, like I said before, I use makiwara and iron palm bags, but I also have a good friend that takes karate with me and we condition the other stuff too. There are a lot of good partner exercises that we do, such as kicking each other in the stomach or shin-impact exercises and forearm drills.

We also use other random implements to hit various parts of our body, such as kali sticks or shinai.

Does this answer your question better? I didn't say everything the first time...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

We still do kotekai in my system. I get the sense that most don't anymore because 1) it's painful, 2) it can cause problems with litigious parents / spouses, and 3) people would rather do kata and kiais.

Conditioning is not dangerous as long as you do it slowly amd carefully.As one wise instructor put it: reform not deform.

It is also a very useful thing to have for the street- although I agree if you just practise for sport or fun then it is unnecessary.

Rich