• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can chi be used up?

Fireka: I understand skepticism... but unless they are working from their own expereince, they are essentially saying "I have no knowledge on the subject but I know you are wrong".

If someone wishes to have a conclusion regarding chi, they should have an idea where the opinion comes from.

have never run across this problem before. I have always felt that it is not "Chi reservation" that is used up. It is merely the mind of the practitioner that tires and can no longer apply the "Chi". Again, this has only been my experience.
Sounds like you are perhaps young (full of energy) and not terribly proficient in qigong. I'd guess it's the equivelant of a 17 year old who sayd "I never get too tired to swim" because his exertion level s below what his body can maintain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an expert at by any means, but I have some measure of skill and expeience. I have spoken with a few others who are proficient in qigong and they feel the same. It should be noted that two of these are over 60 years of age.

When I reach that point, I am still very vaguely aware of the "Chi" but I am unable to apply it. I equate this feeling to doing one's maximum amount of pushups and the trying for one more. The muscles just do not want to work, even though you may feel that you should be able to do that last one. In essence, you strain the proverbial "muscles" that one uses to apply "Chi".

Again, this is just based on my own experience and the experience of a few others. Chi has not even been scientifically proven to exist so there is no way to prove which is right or wrong.

Sastimos et Kaos---Joshua

There are no limits.

So they can perform emmittive qigong for 16-hours a day without tiring from it? And there was never a point they could not? Interesting assertion.

I really dispise when people throw around the term "scientifically" the way you just did. The scientific method is simple...

Form a hypotheses (an idea which fits all know facts).

Test to see if your hypothesis can be disproven.

Make a prediction based on your hypothesis that can be tested for.

Test for your conclusion.

Subbit your hypothesis, test, and results for peer review.

I've personally done all of these things with the nebulous definition of "chi"... While I have no proven traits about its nature, I've described my testing methodology for its existance... feel free to repeat my experiement and compare results.

Chi is a term that involves great complexity of understanding,

cultivation, and development. Chi refers to the vivifying principle in

Chinese cosmology. It means:

breath, vapoir, air, steam, vital fluid, force, temper, feelings, human energy, and the psychophysical power associated with blood and breath.

It means all of these things. Chi is a complex concept, indeed.

It is complex, and yet its complexity depends on the context in which we view it.

In our field of Martial Art, chi refers to vital energy, to motive force,

to intrinsic bio-energy. In Eastern thought, especially in traditional Eastern medicine, this vital energy exists within the human body before the body is even brought to life.

According to this belief, there are two kinds of chi that lie within the body:

the prenatal chi that is the motive force, and the postnatal chi, the material force.

Prenatal chi, sometimes called congential or primary chi, is inherited from our parents during our formation into the fetus.

The postnatl chi comes later, referring to the air we breathe,

the food we eat, and the nurture we receive following our birth.

Each works separately to produce energy for use by our body-mind-spirit.

But whenever they are in imbalance with each other, lopsided in relationship to one another, we become diseased in some way.

In martial art, it is of primary importance to keep these energies in balance so as to promote health.

Chi is able to treat and cure illnesses and diseases. In this regard, most authentic martial-art masters of the past were also skilled healers.

Like physicians, they had professional obligations to humanity.

They were persons of conscience who understood keenly and personally the nature of sacrifice for the sake of art.

Nowaydays, unfortunately, such masters have become exceedingly rare,

perhaps almost an extinct species.

Various kinds of pain and suffering are relieved by chi-kung techniques.

Starting with bruises, muscle pain, broken bones, sprains, and so on.

Later, the most skilled masters may treat arthritis, hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, peptic ulcer, and-today-certain types of cancer.

Kill is love

No, I do not think that they can do qigong for 16 hours straight and not feel a strain. I said that they feel that when one tires, it is not because one has used up their chi. They feel that it is because the "mental muscles" that we use to direct the chi grow tired from over-exertion.

As far as my usage of "scientific", I was referring to the lack of hard core provable data on the subject. As of yet, I have seen no scientific/ medical studies that have proven the existence of chi. Therefore, what you and I are basing are belief/knowledge on is our own experiences/perceptions...which are individualistic.

Sastimos---Joshua

There are no limits.

As far as my usage of "scientific", I was referring to the lack of hard core provable data on the subject. As of yet, I have seen no scientific/ medical studies that have proven the existence of chi. Therefore, what you and I are basing are belief/knowledge on is our own experiences/perceptions...which are individualistic.
No, your "I have not seen them" is individualistic. I've performed the experiment, you are welcome to as well and check the results (assuming you either have the skill to do so, or are willing to go get it.

I asked my teacher if you could use up your Ki or run out etc. He said not really because it's all around you not to mention in you. But if any of you are familiar with Soke Masaaki Hatsumi. He was sick for something like 5-6 years and he says it was Ki sickness. But he did something I'm guessing seriously overexerted himself, causing some sort of problem which led to him being sick for a long time. He hasn't said what caused it or anything just that it happened. So I think you can run low but not run out. I don't buy into Ki is a "life force present only within living things." But the odds of anyone ever doing something like making a Ki ball, as all of you do, so big that it sucks out your soul or something is nonsense. Play with your Ki as much as you want. If you've been out all night drinking yeah your Ki won't be so great and don't be surprised if it's really weak but keep trying under normal day to day circumstances and you'll get it.

"It's quite interesting..."

You qi, and that around you are different. You cannot use yours and then expect to simply replace it with that of those around you... this is actually a common porblem with mistrained qigong healers.. who try to use their own energy to work on others, and end up mking themselves sick and weak over time.

The trick is to conserve energy.. use yours to effect something (weather in yourself or someone else), but keep it... Similarly, you may wish to pull someone's (combatively for example), but discard it, don't suck it in (bad mojo so-to-speak).

• 3 weeks later...

But Ki is Ki. Red Ki , liver Ki, natal Ki. It's all Ki. Ice, water, steam, condensation, sweat, clouds. It's all the same. Yeah it's a little different one has salt another doesn't but are they not all water H2o. Anyway sciencetifically this isn't 100% true but I should you hope you get the idea.

Why can't you absorb some Ki from around you if you run low? I absorb Ki from drinks, food, air but I can't from all around me. This doesn't really make sense since air is all around me. I can absorb Ki from air but not from around me, but mostly all that's around me is air so...And maybe since the body is a better conductor then battery, it makes sense that the Ki we "use" doesn't come solely from inside but from around us. You'll never amount to much if the only Ki you can use is the measely amount your body creates.

"It's quite interesting..."